"Issues" with the Autofocus on the 12-40 PRO Lens.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Swandy, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I have the EM10-II body and I have noticed at times that when I am shooting with the 12-40 PRO lens, it will have "issues" obtaining autofocus - even at times when there is very good contrast available. (Like shooting some snow covered tree branches against a very bright sky this afternoon.)

What is even stranger is that if I change the 12-40 with the 14-42EZ Zoom lens, the pancake has much less problems obtaining AF lock when pointed at the same object. So I don't think that the issue is the body or the settings I use. Just a bit surprised that a "pro" lens could not obtain AF Lock when pointed at the same object as the much cheaper pancake zoom.

Any ideas - before I send it back to Olympus for warranty repair? Afraid they will send it back and say there is nothing wrong with the lens.

2. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    I have that lens, and have no focusing issues at all. Try focusing on anything with some kind of vertical line or edge (using center focus), in normal light, and see how it performs. Your comment about snowy branches against a very bright sky doesn't seem to me like a good contrast situation.

3. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Maybe I did not describe the scene properly - the branches were basically dark (almost sillioutted) against the sky with some snow on the top surface. Certainly enough contrast for the cheaper 14-42ez lens to quickly obtain AF. Thanks.

4. Just to eliminate a possibility, try cleaning the contacts on both the lens and the camera. Caig Deoxit D5 or Pro Gold is awesome for this. Just use a Q-Tip and spray a small amount on the cotton..enough to be wet but not dripping.. and wipe the lens contacts carefully. On the camera contacts, don't try to wipe as this will grab cotton fibers that can find their way into other places. Instead, try to push the contacts in with the swab. They may or may not move much and that's OK...they're spring loaded. If you applied the proper amount, there may be a small residual amount left. Don't wipe it dry..you want a slight film left. I had some focus issues with a rental 12-40 and this made the difference. So with future rentals, Caig will go on before using them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    OK, got it. Try what WOE suggested, as that might be a solution.

6. At least it will eliminate the contact issue as a source of your problem. I also use this stuff occasionally on my batteries..the small gold contacts.