Issues with image rotation

Rich Young

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rich
Greetings all!

Well, first off, I want to thank everyone who assisted me in picking out lenses for my European trip. I am presently in Rome, enjoying the mid-60s, and feeling kind of bad about that too!

However, I come to you with an issue that I cannot for the life of me figure out. It seems that at times (and this is the maddening part) the image from my GX7 won't rotate when I am taking the picture vertically. If it were all the time, I would know to check my settings. Any insights?

Thanks,
Rich

mono55

Mu-43 Regular
Greetings all!

Well, first off, I want to thank everyone who assisted me in picking out lenses for my European trip. I am presently in Rome, enjoying the mid-60s, and feeling kind of bad about that too!

However, I come to you with an issue that I cannot for the life of me figure out. It seems that at times (and this is the maddening part) the image from my GX7 won't rotate when I am taking the picture vertically. If it were all the time, I would know to check my settings. Any insights?

Thanks,
Rich[/QUOTE

Which lenses are you using, Rich? With Pany M4/3 lenses that do not have OIS (the 20mm and Leica 25mm) vertical images do not rotate in playback.

Kat

Rich Young

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rich
Hi Kat,

Thanks for your reply. I wish it were those lenses! I am using the Oly 14-150 and the Oly 9-18.

I also want to be clear, that this is not just on playback, but when downloading.

Rich

dwig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
No,

It appears that the motion and orientation sensors in the lenses that have OIS are leveraged for the orientation flag. Lenses that lack OIS, whether native or adapted, lack the sensors and "blind" the camera as a result.

BTW, the images are not rotated. They have a flag set by the camera that tells the viewing/editing application how to orientate the image. This is always the case with raw images and usually the case with JPEGs, particularily in-camera JPEGs. The processing necessary to actually shuffle the pixels would hinder the camera's ability to write the pixels quickly and everyone wants fast writes to empty the buffer for the next shots.

lucyfree

New to Mu-43
i am not expert in camera but familiar with image rotators. if you cann't get your image rotated inside the camera.it is also a good way to rotate image vertically outside camera with third party software.
but i hope this can be solved inside camera. something wrong with the sensor and lens.

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
To have the images rotate in playback the "Rotate Disp." must be set to on. This is a camera body function and will rotate the displayed image no matter what lens is used. For downloaded files I use Lightroom which rotates imported images to the correct orientation. The correct orientation is determined when the raw file is processed by LR.

Rich Young

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rich
Thanks to all -

I have checked and the Rotate Display is on. So not sure what to do. That fact and the fact that this happens randomly has me a bit perplexed - and somewhat annoyed. I realize that it isn't a "big deal," but I would like to get to the bottom of this, especially on a piece of equipment that cost what the gx7 cost.

Thanks,
Rich

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
Rich,
I recommend you either contact the dealer where you purchased the camera or Panasonic.
Mike

Rich Young

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rich
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply - one I hoped I would not receive! I think you are right. I will have to wait till I get home though, beginning of May - still in Rome. Until then, I will hope for the best. I realize it is probably minor, but I guess I am particular enough to have it bug me!

Peace.

Latest threads

Top Bottom