Issues with Aperture since recent RAW update?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by BBW, Aug 12, 2010.

1. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

All of a sudden, I am having intermittent problems with Aperture 3. Everything was going along just fine and now I am having repeated problems with my perfectly good RAW file that I have just uploaded that looks very normal, suddenly switch to a terrible dirty swimming pool green!:eek: And I get a little box in the Inspector Panel, on the left, at the top under the "Presets" and "Adjustments" drop down menus that says
    it also includes a button to "Reprocess". :confused:

How could it have been adjusted using an earlier version when I just uploaded it? This is the only version of Aperture I've ever had, though there was an update recently. I am 99% sure that this problem began shortly after I updated.

Clicking the "Reprocess" button does nothing. The only way I've been able to get my photo back to normal is to make a "New Version from the Master". This usually works, though sometimes I have had to do it 3 or 4 times until it "sticks". Interestingly the thumbnails for these Greened out photos look perfectly normal.

There are quite a few posts in the Apple Discussion Forum about this happening, so I'm not alone...but thus far I'm not getting any real sense of what to do.

I've sent reports in to Apple via Aperture. I will have to call and be prepared to spend quite a bit of I guess to find out what's up and hope to get someone who can explain it to me....but I thought I'd post here to see if anyone here is experiencing this and what, if anything, they've done to fix it.

Thanks for reading and here's hoping!

2. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    I have had a few issues with A3, but nothing like you are describing. I have found that repairing the database and on one occasion deleting the preferences as described in the attached Apple Support page rectified the problems (at least temporarily).

Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

• Like Like x 2
  3. antithetic

antithetic Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    City of Angels
    I've only processed about a dozen RAW files in Aperture 3, so I haven't run across the issue. I'll try and import the rest of my images later and see if I encounter the same issue.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

Thanks for responding you two. Well, when I have time I will have to dig more deeply but there are quite a few posts in the Apple discussion forums, etc.

I keep hoping it will magically heal itself.

John, I'll recheck the trouble shooting stuff.

Why can't this stuff be simple? Where's my film camera?:drama:

I'm sure eventually it will be AOK.

Keep me posted antithetic!

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    BB,
    Try backing up your catalog.
    Uninstall the program and then reinstall.
    You know how Macs operate. I think that will solve the issue.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I can't help - haven't had anything similar happen. Every now and then a photo will initially come up all goofy (like a messed up TV signal or something) while I'm playing around with adjustments. But sometimes I just need to wait a few seconds to figure out the error of its ways and sometimes I fix it by going back to the thumbnails and then opening that image again - that always seems to work. I've had the program hang a few times, but that was usually the result of trying to apply an adjustment before the version was fully loaded. I've learned not to do that. :cool:

Good luck - did you upgrade your Mac like you were talking about? If not, I wonder if it could just be something hanging from lack of processor speed or memory?

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  7. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

BBW

The only problems I have had with Aperture 3 was in the first release when it would freeze up if I did extensive brush work. They corrected that problem with the first upgrade. I would suggest you contact Apple support as it maybe something as simple as a preference that has been over written.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BBW

Thank you all.

I'm going to need help if I have to do anything like uninstalling, etc., so I'll have to get on the phone on that.

Yes, Ray, I have a brand new MacBook Pro with plenty of memory and power. This all came about since the recent RAW update. There are quite a few discussions on the Apple forums, etc.

It's very disturbing but I have not made the time to call up and hang on the phone. I will have to do it soon though because the issue seems to be morphing... Now the reprocess button does do something but it is not good. The update included RAW for the E-PL1, but it is screwing up all sorts of people's already supported cameras...Canons, Nikons, Leica X1...etc.

I'm just not comfortable trying to do this kind of stuff on my own so I will contact a computer fellow who I've paid over the years to see if he can hold my hand or something. I'll be happy to uninstall the latest RAW update if I can.

Thanks for offering your help. For some reason I didn't see that this thread had gotten more replies.

9. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Curiosity: was this with one of the cameras newly supported by that RAW update? Or a different camera model?

I haven't yet switched to Aperture.

10. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Apple has just seeded the Mac OS X 10.6.5 developer build and while Aperture is not specifically mentioned, hopefully some of the changes will encompass the known Aperture 3 issues. No one knows for sure how long this process will take and when it might make to it to a public release.

Apple Seeds First Developer Build of Mac OS X 10.6.5 - Mac Rumors

• Like Like x 2
  11. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Apple apps have different release schedules than OS updates, traditionally, so I wouldn't expect any changes out of Mac OS 10.6.5 unless the underlying issue is in a system-level component.

For example, the RAW update shipped separately from OS updates.

12. BBW

No, this issue is both with formerly supported cameras and newly supported cameras. It's an odd thing and intermittent but until this recent RAW update I had no problems. As soon as I can which is probably going to be Tuesday here in the USA, I'll attempt to get to the bottom of this.

13. BBW

Thanks John. I'm not sure what this really means, but I'll stay tuned.

P.S. Thank you Grant. I do need to block out some time for a phone call. Here is the issue, I am guessing that you all did not do the latest RAW update, did you?

14. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    BB, as bugs and issues are reported to Apple, they tweak their latest software and eventually issue an update that is supposed to address the bugs/issues. Part of the process is that before it is finalized and made available to the public, it is seeded to a select group of developers for their input and testing to see if there are any other underlying issues or conflicts that the update might cause.

I have had some correspondence with Apple support on an issue I am having and their stock reply is that they are aware and that the next OS update and/or Aperture 3 update will address the issue. As you are aware, there are others having issues since the RAW update, but substantially more are having issues since Apple released OS 10.6.4 which is not playing too well with Aperture 3 as well as other programs (both internal & external) is some areas. The consensus seems to be it is 10.6.4 causing the issues, and not the recent RAW update. Unfortunately, for most users it is all superficial and regardless of the cause, they just want it to work as advertised.

• Like Like x 2
  15. BBW

Appreciate your input John. Maybe I'll add my two cents in this week, if I can make the time to talk to someone. If I weren't being bothered personally, I'd find it more intellectually interesting.:wink: I was a happy camper before this RAW update, but such is life.

As you explained, eventually it will all get settled and I don't make my living at photography, that's for sure.:tongue: In the greater scheme of even my own little orbit, it's small potatoes...only gets to me when it turns the photo green.:biggrin:

P.S. No, sorry to say this has not made a difference in the positive at all. I will have to go to the source.

16. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    I guess I have been away too long. What recent RAW update? I am running Aperture 3.0.3 and OS X 10.6.4 and have not had any problems with my Panasonic G1 RAW files. Is there an update that I should avoid?

17. BBW

It was an update that supported several new cameras' for their RAW formats. You can search Apple's software updates... I posted about it here, so I think there is a thread, actually. I was excited because now Aperture 3 supports the E-PL1, among other cameras. There just seems to be a glitch that causes intermittent issues, as I described above. So if you don't need to update, due to the camera support, then I would hold off.

P.S. Here is the thread with the specific cameras listed https://www.mu-43.com/f74/aperture-3-iphoto-9-raw-compatibility-3-3-update-4741/

18. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I am running the latest version of Aperture with no problems. The Present version is 3.3 with raw updates of 3.3.0. My Version of Apertures is supporting three Nikons and a GH1 with no problems.

19. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    BB,

You are probably aware if you turned your macbook on today, but Apple updated Snow Leopard's graphics program today to address some issues.

One of them was:

Resolves an issue that could cause Aperture 3, or StarCraft II by Blizzard, to unexpectedly quit or become unresponsive.

You can read the full release notes at: About the Snow Leopard Graphics Update

I think your vintage macbook is within the group that might have been having problems in this area. Not sure if this is related to your issue, but I hope that it clears things up for you.

20. BBW

Hmm, thanks, John - I don't have a vintage MacBook Pro anymore. I have a new one...I suppose it could be called a "mid 2010" one, and it is a 15 inch one. I believe I bought it in June. It would be nice if this was the fix, though there's no mention of my issue re the RAW reprocessing of a camera that had already been supported before the update... It gets old to repeat it, and I'm sure it gets old for people who have read my story and, fortunately, haven't experienced it.

I guess I'll give it a try, John! I was offline for almost two days!:eek: It'a amazing I'm still able to function.:wink:

Grant, glad to hear you haven't suffered any of the issues some of the rest of "us" have.

I guess I'll give this update a try and keep my fingers crossed.