Issue with MC14/40-150 Pro, lens sitting loose

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tornet, Jan 9, 2016.

1. tornet

tornet New to Mu-43

Jan 19, 2014
    Hi,

would like to check if someone have had issue with the MC14 sitting loose to the camera body.
    It is really the hole in the MC14 collar that is not sitting tight anymore, see picture. This is something I noticed after 1/2 year already, and now it is getting worse.

The lens/Mc14 combo is less than a year old, so I believed Olympus would change the collar under warranty, but they claim that this is something I need to pay for.

I will probably pay for this (180 USD), but I feel quite disappointed as this should not happen in the first place. The lens and MC14 is quite heavy so I guess it is stressing the metal in the collar over time. What will happen with even heavier lens like the new 300 PRO lens ?

Feedback is welcome !

28122015-PC280506.JPG

2. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    That's a bummer. I haven't experienced any loosening on mine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The hole and locking pin that goes into the hole keeps the lens from accidentally rotating and falling off the camera. The deformation of the hole only changes the amount of possible rotation of the lens. So long as the electrical contacts on the lens make contact with the camera body pins, there is no effect on anything. All my lenses have minor wear marks like that.

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    P1100217-1.

This is about 12 years of wear and tear on an EC-14, it still functions perfectly as normal. The MMF-3 is much more prone to problems as they used an aluminum bayonet rather than chromed brass which deforms very easily (I noticed problems after only 1 year, it was far far more deformed than this).

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The problem isn't aluminum; it's the aluminum alloy used. There are hundreds of them with a very large range of properties and characteristics. Some camera/lens makers use high silica content aluminum alloys (developed for making pistons in engines) that are very hard. Brass also is made in a number of alloys ranging from hard to soft.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    In this case the alloy chosen was not suited to the task, given that the brass alloy previously used for every other lens I've owned (I'm sure there's some variation between them, it doesn't actually matter) has shown none of the same problems in far longer time spans so I'm curious why this aluminum alloy was chosen.

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Are the MMF-1 or 2 stronger/harder?

Barry

8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I believe the MMF-1 was, however it's also not weathersealed. I just replaced them every 6-12 months and threw the old out so I didn't use it, the adapter is basically a consumable.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1