1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Israel Portfolio

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by marcsitkin, Dec 10, 2013.

1. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    [​IMG]

It took a while, but I made an old school printed, mounted and matted portfolio from a trip to Israel this summer. All photos were taken with an Olympus OMD EM5, and various Olympus and Panasonic lenses. It was wonderful to work with a lightweight compact system, and I enjoyed blending in with the tourists instead of looking like a pro with my DSLR gear.

Portfolio images may be viewed here:
    http://galleries.marcsitkinphotography.com/p593372565

Initial processing was done in Lightroom and RPP64, post processing in Photoshop with Nik Filters. Printing was on Canson Baryta paper, and mounted and matted with archival board.

Lots of work, but worth the effort

• Like Like x 9
  2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Excellent work!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. colonelpurple

colonelpurple Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    good photos
    interesting.
    your focus I think was on urban/run down ?

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Outstanding!!! :2thumbs:
    And long live printing!!!! :cool:

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Marc,

great work. Loved your urban city life shots especially the last with the Tefillin.

6. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Most of my free time was spent in Tel Aviv, with a short trip to Jaffa and Jerusalem. Both Tel Aviv and Jaffa are pretty well worn, and not much is spent on maintaining properties, so the subject matter dictated content. I frequently go to South (Miami) beach, which has buildings from the same art deco period as TA, but since they have been restored in Miami Beach, the place has a totally different feel.

The photos from Jerusalem were taken on a quick trip one Saturday, and reflect the antiquity of that city. It feels OLD there, yet it seems less run down than TA.

7. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Thanks E-

I'm sorry we couldn't hook up, but I was overwhelmed with work during the Maccabiah games. It was a real grind this time, with lots of logistical problems on a daily basis. Had a Canon 7d breakdown, was lucky to get it fixed in a few hours in Ramat Gan. Great service!

That last shot was a gut reaction, I really wasn't sure what I was witnessing. I later found out that a skunk shop sells synthetic drugs. Can you confirm? There was just something about the contrast of the Orthodox men wrapping teffilin on a store clerk in that environment that struck me as quirky.

8. colonelpurple

colonelpurple Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks for the reply
    You are right in that there are many externally run down areas, particularly in the centre (which does not mean cheap!) but mostly it's very smart e.g. Kikkar ha'sefer, ramat aviv, neve tzedek, givatayim, etc. I guess it's where you were.
    Jerusalem is so amazing these days, many parts of it look like upmarket London. There is massive redevelopment activity going on there.
    Tel aviv however is subject to many restraint orders on the bau haus buildings, so the old buildings are not rebuilt as much as they should be.

Curious, what m4/3s camera are you using, and how does it compare to the 7D for IQ?

Rgds

Sent from my SM-G3815 using Tapatalk

9. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I was staying at the Marina, on the water. Nice art inside, but pretty rundown.

I used an OMD-EM5, and can't really give you a comparison to the 7d, which I used strictly for sports, mostly with a 300mm f2.8 or a 70-200 f 2.8 lens. The 7d performed well for the sports work, offering very fast focusing and tracking of the athletes. It's a heavy rig, and not what I would choose for casual shooting. I have done a lot of shooting with a 5d, mkII of street and urban subjects, and I find the files from that camera have a bit less noise at higher ISO, and can be blown up to a larger size compared to the m4/3. Since I rarely go beyond 16x20 anymore, I don't mind the tradeoff for the size and portability of the m4/3. It just can't handle the high speed sports stuff.