1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Israel - January '15

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dornblaser, Jul 27, 2014.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Greetings,

I am returning to school, yet again, this fall when I start the Seminary. I have an opportunity to spend two weeks in Israel in January and I am thinking way ahead. Is there any gear that I would not normally think of that I should take? Off the top of my head I was thinking of the E-M10, O12 & 17, O45 or EZ or 12-40 w/grip.

2. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    I have the same dilemma as I am supposed to be headed over there for 10 days in September. We'll be with a group that will be doing some performances along with seeing all the major historical sites. There will be some performances that I'll need to document even though I am more of a landscape/nature shooter. Right now I am leaning towards taking more gear rather than less. I'll probably take my EM-1 with grip, 12-40mm, ZD 50-200mm, Rokinon 7.5mm, ZD 9-18mm, and probably Lumix 20mm F1.7. As a backup camera I'll either take my E-5 with a 14-54mm attached or just my XZ-2. I love my ZD 35-100mm but it would add significant weight and I'll have that focal range covered (except 40-50mm) with other lenses. If I take the E-5 I'll have the entire focal range covered from 7.5-200mm. I'll probably take my tripod as well even though I sort of dread it. Your proposed set-up looks pretty comprehensive with the exception of the long end. Any thoughts on my leanings would be welcome.

3. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Looking at pics of the prior trips, and pics on this site and others, I did not see many taken with long FLs. I did see a far amount of interior shots, hence the primes. I was not planning on taking a back up camera as I prefer to travel light.

4. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Yes, that's a good point about the longer focal lengths. My guess is lI won't need the 50-200mm much but it does give me reach beyond 40mm which could come in handy at times. I am also a believer in traveling light but since I have some photo taking responsibilities on this trip I don't want to be looking back on it wishing I had been better prepared.

5. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Bump - I just send off my deposit. ;-)

6. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    • Like Like x 2
  7. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks, Marc. I recall seeing your photos in the past.

8. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I would say a Bullet Proof vest and a Gas Mask....:smile:

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes, if you're anywhere near the IDF.

10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We won't be near Gaza. Although being near a war zone would be quite the photographic experience.

11. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  12. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Great pics! I have been doing a quick look through and I am wondering if there is a way to see your exif info? I am particularly interested in seeing your FLs.

Again, great pics.

13. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Yes, just hover over a photo with your mouse then click the "i" for info button. If it shows the focal length as zero then I was using my manual fish-eye at 7.5mm. I also used the camera's digital tele-converter on occasion with the 12-40mm as a short-cut to cropping in post. I needed that 80mm equivalent from time to time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks. It looked like you used the 12-40 a lot. I was thinking of taking the O12-40 & O17. I am still thinking about the O45 and O12? I did see at least one FL at zero (picture of a choir being filmed).

15. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Yes, the 12-40mm was my "go to" lens frequently with a Murumi 62mm DHG Super polarizer filter attached. I also used my ZD 9-18mm a good bit for architectural type shots or group photos where it would have otherwise been difficult to get everyone in the frame. My Bower 7.5mm fisheye is a fun inexpensive manual lens that got used more than I would have expected. I am not sure what the 17mm gets you that you couldn't achieve with the 12-40mm. I took my Pany 20mm but it never got used as I had more flexibility just keeping the 12-40 on the camera most of the time.

16. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I was thinking of the O17 for low light/interior/museums situations. Besides, I really like that FL. :smile:

17. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    That's a good point. I wouldn't discourage you from taking the 17mm. I took the 20mm for the same reason (low light capability) but I ended up not using it. On the other end of the spectrum I was very glad I had my 50-200mm with me as I needed it for concert performances as well as a trip to the Jerusalem Zoo (highly recommended).

18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have the O40-150, I will take that for my long lens and not the O45. Good point.