Israel - January '15

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dornblaser, Jul 27, 2014.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Greetings,

I am returning to school, yet again, this fall when I start the Seminary. I have an opportunity to spend two weeks in Israel in January and I am thinking way ahead. Is there any gear that I would not normally think of that I should take? Off the top of my head I was thinking of the E-M10, O12 & 17, O45 or EZ or 12-40 w/grip.

2. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    I have the same dilemma as I am supposed to be headed over there for 10 days in September. We'll be with a group that will be doing some performances along with seeing all the major historical sites. There will be some performances that I'll need to document even though I am more of a landscape/nature shooter. Right now I am leaning towards taking more gear rather than less. I'll probably take my EM-1 with grip, 12-40mm, ZD 50-200mm, Rokinon 7.5mm, ZD 9-18mm, and probably Lumix 20mm F1.7. As a backup camera I'll either take my E-5 with a 14-54mm attached or just my XZ-2. I love my ZD 35-100mm but it would add significant weight and I'll have that focal range covered (except 40-50mm) with other lenses. If I take the E-5 I'll have the entire focal range covered from 7.5-200mm. I'll probably take my tripod as well even though I sort of dread it. Your proposed set-up looks pretty comprehensive with the exception of the long end. Any thoughts on my leanings would be welcome.

3. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Looking at pics of the prior trips, and pics on this site and others, I did not see many taken with long FLs. I did see a far amount of interior shots, hence the primes. I was not planning on taking a back up camera as I prefer to travel light.

4. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Yes, that's a good point about the longer focal lengths. My guess is lI won't need the 50-200mm much but it does give me reach beyond 40mm which could come in handy at times. I am also a believer in traveling light but since I have some photo taking responsibilities on this trip I don't want to be looking back on it wishing I had been better prepared.

5. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Bump - I just send off my deposit. ;-)

6. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    • Like Like x 2
  7. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks, Marc. I recall seeing your photos in the past.

8. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I would say a Bullet Proof vest and a Gas Mask....:smile:

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes, if you're anywhere near the IDF.

10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We won't be near Gaza. Although being near a war zone would be quite the photographic experience.

11. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  12. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Great pics! I have been doing a quick look through and I am wondering if there is a way to see your exif info? I am particularly interested in seeing your FLs.

Again, great pics.

13. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Yes, just hover over a photo with your mouse then click the "i" for info button. If it shows the focal length as zero then I was using my manual fish-eye at 7.5mm. I also used the camera's digital tele-converter on occasion with the 12-40mm as a short-cut to cropping in post. I needed that 80mm equivalent from time to time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks. It looked like you used the 12-40 a lot. I was thinking of taking the O12-40 & O17. I am still thinking about the O45 and O12? I did see at least one FL at zero (picture of a choir being filmed).

15. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Yes, the 12-40mm was my "go to" lens frequently with a Murumi 62mm DHG Super polarizer filter attached. I also used my ZD 9-18mm a good bit for architectural type shots or group photos where it would have otherwise been difficult to get everyone in the frame. My Bower 7.5mm fisheye is a fun inexpensive manual lens that got used more than I would have expected. I am not sure what the 17mm gets you that you couldn't achieve with the 12-40mm. I took my Pany 20mm but it never got used as I had more flexibility just keeping the 12-40 on the camera most of the time.

16. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I was thinking of the O17 for low light/interior/museums situations. Besides, I really like that FL. :smile:

17. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    That's a good point. I wouldn't discourage you from taking the 17mm. I took the 20mm for the same reason (low light capability) but I ended up not using it. On the other end of the spectrum I was very glad I had my 50-200mm with me as I needed it for concert performances as well as a trip to the Jerusalem Zoo (highly recommended).

18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have the O40-150, I will take that for my long lens and not the O45. Good point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.