1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ison - Comet of the Century.......coming to a sky near you soon.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Gyles, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Ison, is a very special comet dubbed "the comet of the century" and it will be in our skies very soon. Its 2miles wide, its tail is about 8 miles long and should be at its best first two weeks of December. (early morning in the UK). But it passes very close to the sun on Thursday and it could be ripped apart.

What's the best way to capture it? Either stills or time lapse. Might be an issue for some/me with temperatures dropping below freezing.

Be good to see images taken from around the world.

2. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I think I may have seen it last night as I rode my bike home. It was about 40 min after sunset and I saw what looked like at first glance to be an airplane with light in the SWW direction. That's roughly where the airport is from where I was, so was convinced it was a plane...esp. since the light seemed to form an elongated shape, not circular like a star.
    Kept glancing up and it never seemed to change shape or bearing from my position as I rode alone. Light never seemed to change shape nor colour, not intensity as a plane normally would.

Thoughts? Could this have been the comet? It was by no menas a clear night and I was only a few miles south of a major city (Vancouver Canada), to lots of light pollution. Would it have been bright enough to see like that?

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Comet ison in the northern hemisphere can only be seen just before sunrise.

I saw comet Lovejoy a few weeks ago but couldn't spot ison. Its brighter now, but rainy here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    I don't think it will be very visible until next week.

5. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Ok then, must have just been a typical UFO...we get lots othose 'round here. :biggrin:

6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Its already gone to the other side of the sun. So there might not be anything to see as the boffins thinks it could break apart due to the temps and gravity.

http://www.space.com/23724-comet-ison-complete-coverage.html

7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Tornado - you were most likely seeing Venus. It is currently visible around/after sunset in the SW.