1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ISO question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Adobres, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    Hello everyone! I'm just wondering if anyone out there actually uses anything above 6400 ISO? It just seems so awfuly noisy! Do you just stick with long exposures and tripods?

Thanks! Love my epm1, I highly recommend going through the etire sproket menu and customizing the settings, like turning on the SCP option, and customizing your buttons and dials. Once set up, this is a very powerful camera!

Adam.

:smile:

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    With my E-PM1 I don't use anything above ISO1600. I think ISO3200 is acceptable with some NR and resizing to much smaller size. 6400 is out if question, IMO

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Can't say I've ever used more than ISO3200 on any camera.

Fast lenses.

Very much agreed. :2thumbs:

4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    agree, 3200 seems to be the limit so far.

5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I've never used anything above ISO 1600.

You can probably squeeze out ISO 3200/6400 by going with black and white and embracing the grain (at least on Oly cameras).

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You mean with Ilford Delta 3200? :wink:

7. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I highly recommend going through the entire sproket menu and customizing the settings, like turning on the SCP option, and customizing your buttons and dials. Once set up, this is a very powerful camera!

On this I agree 100%. My camera did not become a refined tool until I figured out all of the settings and created 'sets' for them. Once I came up with the best settings I have spent far less time dealing with the technology and a lot more finding the best shots and best composition. Even though I'm a geek, I didn't buy a camera to play with it. I really wanted to get away from the tech and learn to 'see.'

Dan

8. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Mine is set to max at 1000! I'll override that if I need to but this works well for now. Never even tried 6400.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Starting around 2007 or so, camera-makers began to rapidly increase the maximum ISOs offered. Part of that was justified by a new generation of sensors that were cleaner than the old ones, but on the whole, a lot of it was just about marketing and appearing to keep up with competitors.

From what I've seen, ISO 3200 and above on the Pens is one example of this. 12800 is something that competing DSLRs have, so they add it, even when if the results of using it are quite poor.

DH

10. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    So far I find I shoot ISO 160 pretty much all of the time. Occasionally I bump it up to 640 for indoor shooting. With an f1.4 lens that seems to be good enough.

11. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Never went that high with digital. For what this is worth though, using film the fastest I used was 3200. But it was B/W, overcast, and a real slow shutter.
    The grainy effect was just what I was after. I would assume you would get the same effect in digi.
    Or not.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    With digital CMOS sensors, you can get patterns in the 'grain' if you push the ISO too high. Lines, clusters, etc. Not nearly as nice as film grain. If the grainy B&W effect is desirable, there are 'art filters' or post-processing actions to achieve the result, without the artifacts.

DH

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    +1
    I find real film grain much more pleasing than digitial noise....

14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I've used 12800 a couple of times with the Pentax K5. It was usable and about the same as GH2 somewhere between 3200-6400.

15. greenlife

greenlife Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 24, 2011
    Finland
    Hi, feeling a bit stupid to ask, but when I am not using English in my camera, and have not the user guide DVD right here... What is SCP option? What other setting do you modify BTW? Thanks...

16. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    SCP = Super Control Panel. It has more settings available than the live menu and is familiar to anyone who's used an Olympus dslr. For instance you can change the image settings, gradation and stuff like that directly. You have to turn it on via the secret "sprocket" menu. Then you can use the info button to toggle between live menu and SCP although since turning it on I haven't turned it off.