1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ISO performance

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BillN, Jan 23, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    i,m still getting used to the camera,

I feel that for 90% of the shots any ISO setting above 400 is not really worthwhile

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bill,
    What camera are you using? What do you expect in terms of an image?
    I use the Pen 1 all the time at 2400 or there abouts and the results are wonderful....

It would help to explain more and maybe post an image or 2 that you feel shows the problem...
    Don't sweat it Bro'...we're all here with you and we'll figure it out...
    Shooter

3. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I have just been "playing around" indoors with a nice Nikon 35 f2 the Nikkor O-C which I have never been able to use on my D300 because it is NAI
    Seems a very good lens - I have "binned" all the shots i took at ISO > 400 as I thought that they were terrible - but I will take a few more next week and try to post something sensible now that I am getting used to the G1.

4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I am more than happy with the high ISO performance from the E-P1.

ISO800 here...

4094566441_1641d1b3cc.

A couple of ISO3200 shots...

3970915635_3d10813a65.

4173434521_3cdf1f707a.

• Like Like x 2
  5. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    I wonder why the GF1's high ISO performance is not as good... can't really shoot in color over ISO800. Can this change with a firmware update?

6. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Possibly but I don't think it will happen. Panasonic prefers to concentrate on maxing the detail while Olympus prefers to shove user friendly JPEGs out of the camera. At the pixel level, the Panasonic image looks very good with an astonishing level of detail.

The Olympus, at pixel level, can look distintly hacked but it will print out very well at normal print sizes and looks great when viewed at normal screen sizes. The Olympus does better with noise handling but trades away detail. In my opinion, it is probably one of the best compromises out there. The Olympus probably has a minor edge in colours and white balance but there is not much in it there.

Then again, Panasonic trounces the Olympus with AF speed.

Compromise, compromise, compromise.

7. Novaron

Novaron Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2010
    Falls Church VA
    What about images shot Raw and then processed in ACR, Lightroom or some Raw converter. Are the differences in noise performance still substantial?

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I keep my NR to low on my pen. This seems to balance noise and detail for me.

9. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    can you show us some examples? :)

10. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The Pen raw files do very well at high ISO.
    The noise is fine in b&w up to and maybe above 2450.
    I have done many images at 3200 and pushed to 12800.
    In color you should be able to get 1250 easy.
    Since I started the Pen...I haven't used Noise Ninja at all. That's how good it is.

Cosinaphile has both cameras and he maybe could join in with an educated point of view.
    Shooter

11. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    I try not to take high ISO shots! :biggrin:

Anyway, this was taken at ISO 1250, the noise is still visibile in spite of Lightroom NR (I'll post it large to show it):

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sinophilia/4287670214/" title="Instability by sinophilia, on Flickr"> 4287670214_e34db450f4_o. "1200" alt="Instability" /></a>

12. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I gotta show my age here......
    Youse ever shoot film? You could never get these results with film.
    I mixed my own developers and learned how to cut grain but digital just blows it away.
    Think grain...not noise....

• Like Like x 2
  13. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Here is a photo I took the other day of our dog. I didn't even notice the ISO speed until sinophilia pointed it out to me over on flickr. It was shot on my E-P2 @ 6400 with the Panny 20 @ 1.7 and I was trying out one of the "art filters". I'm pretty sure it was the "pin hole". 4301242295_9f2f3d473a_b.

• Like Like x 2
  14. rst

rst Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    Have you tried this with the new Lightroom beta version. What I see in your image is chroma noise and in Lightroom beta they claim to have implemented a pretty good chroma noise reduction. Maybe that could help.

Cheers
    rst

15. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I have just left the E-P1 on its default noise reduction settings and shoot JPEGs. I haven't been able to get a better compromise between detail and noise out of RAW images so don't even bother with them any more.

I would need to apply any sort of noise reduction to my images (even ISO3200 ones) at a rate of less than 1 in a 1000.

What I have noticed is that from time to time, there is a little more noise than I would expect at low ISO. I belive that is due to the dynamic range enhancement process which I have left on auto. BTW, I don't think the dynamic range enhancement works very well at all.

16. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    thanks I will try that.