ISO issues with G9

iLumix

Mu-43 Regular
Can't figure out why I can't set the ISO above 3200. I have looked everywhere for a setting and nothing comes up.

Also when trying to set the upper ISO for use with auto ISO everything above 3200 is greyed out.

i do not have the camera set for silent shutter.

Can somebody tell me what I have done to screw this up? Thanks.

edergira

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Filip
Do you perhaps have a creative effect filter or multiple exposure switched on? I believe those can limit maximum ISO.

manowar

New to Mu-43
My g9 has very short EV range in post-process.
When I shot the stars @ ISO800 and tried to increase the exposure +2 in post, the strongest noise appeared with mass of hot pixels. Here is example.
So I think acceptable g9's ISO photo range g9 is 200-400...

User ID

Mu-43 Regular
........ .... .. .... ...... ... ..... .. ... .. .....
So I think acceptable g9's ISO photo range g9 is 200-400...
Yowza .... 200-400 ? My G9 would be loooong gone if
I had problems with noise. ISO 5000 is waaaaay cool !
Don't ask me if I'm blind. Acoarst I can see the noise.
It's really good noise, too. Not crazy blotchy and not
breaking into lines or rectangular zones. If I needed
more noise control, I could open the raw file. This is
just a quick and easy from the camera jpeg ;-)

Clearly your imaging goals differ from mine and that is
not for me to criticize, nor vice versa, But I just wonder
why you don't use a larger format ? The G9 body is as
big as some FF bodies. Only the lenses are smaller.

Here's a pic at ISO5000. Noise, yes. Noise problem, no.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

iLumix

Mu-43 Regular

manowar

New to Mu-43
Thanx for your answers!

Last june I set my d750 and g9 for night cross shooting and found an issue that could not deal with. Sometimes tint shifts to purple/blue and lightroom/dxo/silkypics/rawtherapee cant change it. Moreover you can see that effect when brings exposure up to +2 EV

Is it possible to cure it? 3 samples, 2nd has broken color shift

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
The trick is to ETTR when shooting in low light. As long as you don't blow out the highlights you'll get a lot more out of pulling the exposure back than increasing. There's another high ISO thread in here somewhere, don't have time to search right now, but can assure you they are not limited to 800.

As to the purple, etc., don't forget the camera's native ISO is 200. Sometimes shifting to 100 and shooting bright highlights causes odd colors. Magenta is the most common.

manowar

New to Mu-43
So, its better to use high ISO when shooting stars with m4/3 and bring highlights down, then shoot in low ISO and try to cap more dynamic range / bit depth + increase explosure ? I use last method with FF, works good.

G9's magenta happends idk what reason. ISO800, all settings are the same, but result is not..

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Offtop: do you enjoy noise @ iso 3200 ???
I don't have any issues with it, even on my older GX8. I think you must be doing something wrong somewhere. The G9 is a little bit better

This was shot through dirty glass windows

ISO 1600

ISO 3200 again

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
So, its better to use high ISO when shooting stars with m4/3 and bring highlights down, then shoot in low ISO and try to cap more dynamic range / bit depth + increase explosure ? I use last method with FF, works good.

G9's magenta happends idk what reason. ISO800, all settings are the same, but result is not..
Just pushing shadows is easy but it's always the worst way to do things, even for larger formats (even though you might get away with it on a bigger sensor). If done to the extreme, you wil eventually get huge amounts of noise as well as purple/green colour shifts.

Astro is hard - with a smaller sensor you have to be very precise with exposure, and if you want less noise you'll have to use computational techniques such as stacking and dark frame subtraction.

Definitely expose for detail where you need it, with detail in the middle of the histogram - you will then need some combination of pulling highlights and pushing shadows. For Milky Way landscape I'm usually using ISO1600-3200 and exposure stacking 8 to 16 light frames.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
G9 has untenable noise for long exposures, especially visible in astro. If I ever use it for that purpose again, long exposure noise reduction is a must. You may find that some reviewers state that LENR is not necessary. Not my experience at all with astro. Try turning it on.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom