ISO display with ISO auto with E-M1ii

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Obregon, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Obregon

Obregon New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2017
    The E-M1ii menus have me stumped again. When I shoot video I usually set ISO at auto and the display shows "ISO AUTO". Is there any way to show on the display the ISO that the camera has actually selected in ISO auto?

2. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2015
    Sorry, I don't have an answer for you, but doesn't it dynamically adjust it while you are shooting?

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The display shows the ISO it will shoot at, so you can see what it will be before you start shooting. So you will know for each clip what ISO it started at. It doesn't display the ISO in realtime during shooting.

4. Obregon

Obregon New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2017
    It does adjust, but I occasionally if I saw that the ISO was getting too high, I might adjust the aperture downward.

5. Obregon

Obregon New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2017
    I guess I'm doing something wrong. In movie mode all the display shows is Auto ISO, even before I start shooting. For what it's worth, on the video menu, I'm in aperture mode.

6. Obregon

Obregon New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2017
    What you say is true for manual mode but not Aperture. What I would like to do is shoot in video at 1/60 of a second at a particular f/stop and have auto ISO compensate for changes in brightness while showing me the current ISO.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  7. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    My camera is in A mode and on the left it says:

ISO-A

When I press the red button it just says ISO-A.

Same in S mode and P mode.

There is no way to make it display the changing ISO while shooting video. But you do know what it is at the start of each clip, which should be good enough normally.

8. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    I think @Growltiger@Growltiger means he's shooting with the camera mode dial set to 'A', rather than shooting with the dial set to 'movie' and exposure mode set to 'A'.
    With the dial set to 'movie', there is no indication of the instantaneous values of either of the automated parameters: ISO and s/s in 'A' mode, ISO and aperture in 'S' mode and all three in 'P' mode. I agree, it would be very useful to know what decisions the camera was making. I've had a correspondence with the CS guys in Tokyo on this very subject and it seems that Oly consider it to be info they'd rather not divulge. They won't even say whether or not the camera tries to keep the shutter speed to as close to 180° as possible in 'A' mode. It seems nuts to me, and to be fair they are very apologetic about it, but Olympus do seem to like to play their cards absurdly close to their chests. After all, it isn't exactly rocket science in this case, and showing the automated values would help users create better results.

If you have a few minutes, I suggest writing to them and adding another voice to the request. Here's the email address.
    オリンパスカスタマーサポートセンター
    It's the Japanese customer service office so I suggest keeping it concise and respectful. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Yes, that is correct. Why set the dial to Movie mode - isn't that just for fancy effects?

10. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Yes and no. Movie mode also offers:
    • An independent set of button and dial assignments.
    • Two independent sets of display options.
    • Movie teleconverter. This is different from the standard digital teleconverter in that doesn't work by upsizing. It's only available in FHD and smaller formats and basically gives you a direct 100% read of the centre of the sensor instead of the default downsized read of the entire sensor. It can be quite handy if shooting in FHD — it can be punched in and out during recording.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2015
    If it matters, putting the camera in movie mode also changes the display/evf to 16:9 crop, so you can frame properly.

My impression is that the ISO is dynamically changed when you are in auto-iso in A or S mode, along with the aperture, but I can't find any documentation to back this up.