ISO comparison: E-P5 versus E-PL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rparmar, Feb 23, 2014.

1. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    OK, so it's been done before, but with both cameras in my hands I have done a comparison of the ISO performance. I was more than pleasantly happy with the results.

It's just been posted over at the Theatre of Noise... an appropriately named blog as always!
    • Like Like x 3
  2. rparmar

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Just had a real test of the E-P5, shooting a play from the audience using the Olympus 45mm. I shot at ISO 1600 so I had a good chance of freezing motion. Used only a tad of Lightroom's own built-in noise reduction, no sharpening, and a bit of S-curve contrast. Results were very impressive. The camera captured the colours and detail without objectionable noise. Also, the auto-focus was spot on.

I have never used a small camera with these capabilities.

This is the Limerick Youth Theatre, a great initiative where professionals help younger people make full-scale productions. Colours in the second shot are muted as per the stage lighting.

For anyone hesitating on buying the E-P5 or one of the similar OM-D cameras I have only one word... DON'T!

[NOTE: posted same thread to Serious Compacts.]
    • Like Like x 2
  3. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    Thanks for the comparison!
    As a former user of the E-PL2, glad that I now own the E-P5.

The E-P5 is a great camera!! :thumbup:
  4. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Thanks for this. When my pesky car stops acting up, I think I'm going to be "moving up" from my E-PL2 to something like the EM5. I know that everyone talks about the ISO difference, but for me it's easier to see it (and hear it even more).
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    There was a young tog from Lim'rik,
    Who decided from two shots to pick,
    To his enormous surprise,
    His E-P5 took the prize,
    Which made the PL2 feel sick.
  6. rparmar

Jun 14, 2011