ISO comparison: E-P5 versus E-PL2

rparmar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
OK, so it's been done before, but with both cameras in my hands I have done a comparison of the ISO performance. I was more than pleasantly happy with the results.

It's just been posted over at the Theatre of Noise... an appropriately named blog as always!

rparmar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just had a real test of the E-P5, shooting a play from the audience using the Olympus 45mm. I shot at ISO 1600 so I had a good chance of freezing motion. Used only a tad of Lightroom's own built-in noise reduction, no sharpening, and a bit of S-curve contrast. Results were very impressive. The camera captured the colours and detail without objectionable noise. Also, the auto-focus was spot on.

I have never used a small camera with these capabilities.

12939305565_cca46bf05c_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

12939708874_92e24611ec_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is the Limerick Youth Theatre, a great initiative where professionals help younger people make full-scale productions. Colours in the second shot are muted as per the stage lighting.

For anyone hesitating on buying the E-P5 or one of the similar OM-D cameras I have only one word... DON'T!

[NOTE: posted same thread to Serious Compacts.]

taz98spin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the comparison!
As a former user of the E-PL2, glad that I now own the E-P5.

The E-P5 is a great camera!! :thumbup:

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
OK, so it's been done before, but with both cameras in my hands I have done a comparison of the ISO performance. I was more than pleasantly happy with the results.

It's just been posted over at the Theatre of Noise... an appropriately named blog as always!

Thanks for this. When my pesky car stops acting up, I think I'm going to be "moving up" from my E-PL2 to something like the EM5. I know that everyone talks about the ISO difference, but for me it's easier to see it (and hear it even more).

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
There was a young tog from Lim'rik,
Who decided from two shots to pick,
To his enormous surprise,
His E-P5 took the prize,
Which made the PL2 feel sick.
:wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom