ISO bracketing

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Can someone tell. me what ISO Bracketing is for?

I use EV Bracketing to create HDR images and I use Focus Bracketing to merge the images into a single composite, but what does ISO bracketing give you in terms of post processing? Or is it only to allow the user to create a series of images from which he or she can use the single one that seems best?

I. have never used it until I was going through the menu system and asked myself what its purpose was.

Rob Trek

Rob Trek on Youtube
It's just another tool. It's possible that using the in-camera processing to raise iso vs doing it in post-processing will give you better results at any given iso. So you could bracket shots using a lower iso for richer highlights and higher iso for potentially cleaner shadows. Blending these shots, particularly when you need to keep your shutter speeds fast, could give you better results. This is all just speculation on my part as I've never really used it like that.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have never understood the ISO bracketing feature and why one might use it. I think it might have been one of those "what else can we bracket" from the SW teams without regard to which things make sense to bracket. ;)

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's just another tool. It's possible that using the in-camera processing to raise iso vs doing it in post-processing will give you better results at any given iso. So you could bracket shots using a lower iso for richer highlights and higher iso for potentially cleaner shadows. Blending these shots, particularly when you need to keep your shutter speeds fast, could give you better results. This is all just speculation on my part as I've never really used it like that.
Out of curiosity I took a bunch of bracketed ISO shots and merged them using PS as though they were EV bracketed shots and the result was not bad. As with all blending like that (at least the bracketed shots I take) I needed to sharpen the results but it came out nicely so I assume you are right.

strachs

New to Mu-43
I believe Joel Grimes uses ISO bracketing for creating HDR composites. He does so because he's bracketing flash shots, and if you bracket with shutter speed, each frame will have a different mix of flash and ambient. And of course if you bracket with aperture, each frame has a different DOF characteristic, as already pointed out. So, I think he does this so that the three frames will have basically the same characteristics, and blend more believably into one image.

cerebrus

Mu-43 Rookie
From what I understand, the camera only takes one photo. It then processes it using multiple ISO settings (since ISO is gain applied to the signal from the sensor). Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Nice to have when you want to exposure bracket a fast moving object, or are panning for the shot.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom