ISO 65,000-ish GH2 experiment

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Just for kicks, I took my GH2 and PL45/2.8 into my son's room last night as he was getting ready to sleep and took a single, manually focused image at f/2.8, 1/10s (handheld), and ISO 12,800. The resulting image was more than 2 stops underexposed, so I pushed it to ~ ISO 65,000 equivalent during RAW processing in Lightroom and converted to B&W.

The room was flat out dark, and I was surprised that I could even get enough information from the EVF to get a ballpark manual focus. As you can see, the focus point is on the pillow in front of my son.

5590289727_6237b77ae3_z.

Anyway, I was just amazed that I could get anything resembling an image at this ISO...

• Like Like x 2
  2. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    There seems to be some banding in the face, but really its quite remarkable.
    Pretty sharp too, and the grain is quite attractive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Er - how do you that ? you mean you used the Exposure / Brightness controls, or is there something more specific ?

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That's a really cool result. I like the effect.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    I think the noise with this camera has a a more film--like grain and is a lot more acceptable than many of the other digital cameras i've owned.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Pretty much. I shot at ISO 12,800 and then pushed the exposure slider to +2 stops, which is ISO 51,200 equivalent. The resulting image was still dark, so I pushed it further using curves, which is no different than using brightness. This push was probably less than half a stop, hence my estimate of ~ ISO 65,000 equivalent.

What I did in post is no different than what any SLR would do to achieve these ridiculous ISO equivalents. For example, the Pentax K-5 offers an ISO 51,200 equivalent setting, but that is accomplished by in-camera pushing, not a native ISO 51,200.

7. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Very interesting - thanks !

8. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    That is impressive! Glad to hear they are made significant improvements in the new sensor. The grain is quite attractive too.

9. Diane B

Diane B Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    Interesting. The grain really is more attractive than many other cams and since I process to mono quite often is even more so. The GH2 looks more and more interesting.

Diane

10. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Takes me back to Tri-X days!

And with some NR applied it could be a very usable image. In the days of film I'd "push process" film all the time. Tri-X processed at ASA 6400 had some very distinctive grain!