ISO 65,000-ish GH2 experiment

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Just for kicks, I took my GH2 and PL45/2.8 into my son's room last night as he was getting ready to sleep and took a single, manually focused image at f/2.8, 1/10s (handheld), and ISO 12,800. The resulting image was more than 2 stops underexposed, so I pushed it to ~ ISO 65,000 equivalent during RAW processing in Lightroom and converted to B&W.

The room was flat out dark, and I was surprised that I could even get enough information from the EVF to get a ballpark manual focus. As you can see, the focus point is on the pillow in front of my son.

5590289727_6237b77ae3_z.

Anyway, I was just amazed that I could get anything resembling an image at this ISO...

• Like Like x 2
  2. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    There seems to be some banding in the face, but really its quite remarkable.
    Pretty sharp too, and the grain is quite attractive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Er - how do you that ? you mean you used the Exposure / Brightness controls, or is there something more specific ?

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That's a really cool result. I like the effect.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    I think the noise with this camera has a a more film--like grain and is a lot more acceptable than many of the other digital cameras i've owned.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Pretty much. I shot at ISO 12,800 and then pushed the exposure slider to +2 stops, which is ISO 51,200 equivalent. The resulting image was still dark, so I pushed it further using curves, which is no different than using brightness. This push was probably less than half a stop, hence my estimate of ~ ISO 65,000 equivalent.

What I did in post is no different than what any SLR would do to achieve these ridiculous ISO equivalents. For example, the Pentax K-5 offers an ISO 51,200 equivalent setting, but that is accomplished by in-camera pushing, not a native ISO 51,200.

7. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Very interesting - thanks !

8. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    That is impressive! Glad to hear they are made significant improvements in the new sensor. The grain is quite attractive too.

9. Diane B

Diane B Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    Interesting. The grain really is more attractive than many other cams and since I process to mono quite often is even more so. The GH2 looks more and more interesting.

Diane

10. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 All-Pro

Takes me back to Tri-X days!

And with some NR applied it could be a very usable image. In the days of film I'd "push process" film all the time. Tri-X processed at ASA 6400 had some very distinctive grain!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.