Iso 409,600

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
I wont switch, but I love how Sony really pushes forward with camera innovation.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
From DPR (I loved this statement):

The higher quality footage is only available over HDMI - to ensure the camera could be kept to a small size.

And then they show this:

VCT-55LH_XLR-K1M_CLM-V55_right_ILCE-7S_VX9124-1200.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
As good as ISO 400k looks on paper, I'm doubting the sensor here is any better on noise than the Canon and Nikon's FF flagships, meaning their ISO 102k will be like our ISO 25k, and their 400k will be two stops worse (or at least 4 stops beyond being even marginally usable).

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
I think Sony should focus on producing their new EF mount lenses since so few options there rather than a new body. Wrong strategy. in fact Sony ruined A7 and A7r's product life cycles.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I think Sony should focus on producing their new EF mount lenses since so few options there rather than a new body. Wrong strategy. in fact Sony ruined A7 and A7r's product life cycles.

That's not entirely unusual with Sony. They seem to be looking for something and don't quite appear to know what it is, but they want plenty of it.

Re the ISO, considering that Sony produces one of the best sensors around, be it in a Nikon or Sony camera, I think the high ISO results could be reasonable. I'm also basing this on the fact that they have gone to a 12MP sensor in FF, so as to have the largest possible photosites available.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
As good as ISO 400k looks on paper, I'm doubting the sensor here is any better on noise than the Canon and Nikon's FF flagships, meaning their ISO 102k will be like our ISO 25k, and their 400k will be two stops worse (or at least 4 stops beyond being even marginally usable).

The new Nikon D4S has similar high ISO results, but I think it's worth noting that the A7S sensor is 12mp which would allow a bit more leeway with bigger pixels. If I shot MF, I'd get this camera because even the worst of glass looks good at that pixel density. Though it really depends how well Sony's image processing is at those higher ISOs? For example, Nikon regularly pulls better performance numbers over Sony cameras using the same sensor.

TheRenaissanceMan

Mu-43 Regular

I disagree. The A7, A7R, and A7S are well-differentiated and each built with a different purpose in mind. We have the A7R as our landscape/studio resolution monster, the A7S as our low-light king and videographer's dream, and the A7 as our entry level all-rounder. They're all complimentary. If they continue to be aggressive in filling out their lens roadmap over the next few years, I could Sony converting a lot of photographers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
They should reduce megapixels to something like 8mp and it might be possible. :wink:

The 5MP E-1 did take some mighty good photographs (so did the Nikon D2H at4MP) and can achieve some impressively large prints. If current technology was applied to a m4/3 5MP sensor, there's no saying what it could achieve.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I disagree. The A7, A7R, and A7S are well-differentiated and each built with a different purpose in mind. We have the A7R as our landscape/studio resolution monster, the A7S as our low-light king and videographer's dream, and the A7 as our entry level all-rounder. They're all complimentary. If they continue to be aggressive in filling out their lens roadmap over the next few years, I could Sony converting a lot of photographers.

But what about all the Sony alpha and Nex cameras? There just seems to be too many options, with a lot of overlap. Sony has had a long time to convert photographers since it bought out Minolta, but the numbers haven't gone in their favour, when you consider Nikon/Canon.

TheRenaissanceMan

Mu-43 Regular
But what about all the Sony alpha and Nex cameras? There just seems to be too many options, with a lot of overlap. Sony has had a long time to convert photographers since it bought out Minolta, but the numbers haven't gone in their favour, when you consider Nikon/Canon.

I was talking strictly about their full frames; the NEX series has indeed been a mess, largely due to the sparse and lackluster lens choices. I think they have their eyes on the prize with their FE optics. I spoke with a Sony rep at work the other day who let me test out his A7 with the 55mm f/1.8, and let me tell you--that is a special lens. I was floored. The 35mm 2.8 (though a little slow for my taste) tests well too, as does the f/4 zoom.

YMMV, but I see a lot to like about Sony's full frame system, particularly with this newest announcement. I shoot as much or more video as I do stills and often work at events with limited light, so the A7S is pushing my buttons in all the right ways. ;)

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I like the Sony 'A7' system, but it's whether they can remain consistent or do what they have done with their other camera systems. Can they keep running three separate systems?

Wouldn't it be interesting if Sony only had two systems, FF aka the A7 system and say m4/3 (given they have some arrangements with Olympus)?

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
The 5MP E-1 did take some mighty good photographs (so did the Nikon D2H at4MP) and can achieve some impressively large prints. If current technology was applied to a m4/3 5MP sensor, there's no saying what it could achieve.

I had a D2H for the longest time, before upgrading to the D2X/D200 and man I thought having 12/10mp was a huge jump. Shooters are so spoiled nowadays with their ultra high res cameras! :biggrin:

TheRenaissanceMan

Mu-43 Regular
I like the Sony 'A7' system, but it's whether they can remain consistent or do what they have done with their other camera systems. Can they keep running three separate systems?

Wouldn't it be interesting if Sony only had two systems, FF aka the A7 system and say m4/3 (given they have some arrangements with Olympus)?

They have the FF A7 system and the APS-C Alpha system (which I can see becoming like saying Canon has the EF FF system and the EF-S APS-C system). What's their third system? As far as I know, they've dropped their SLT line.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
From what I understand, Sony is now calling everything Alpha and still have the traditional DSLR bodies (with mirror), the Nex bodies and now the A7 bodies (without mirror). Three systems, three different lens mounts. Which will become their bread and butter?

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro

Sony has a bad habit of abandoning tech standards they create. The FF mirrorless seems to be the way they are headed... for now.

TheRenaissanceMan

Mu-43 Regular
From what I understand, Sony is now calling everything Alpha and still have the traditional DSLR bodies (with mirror), the Nex bodies and now the A7 bodies (without mirror). Three systems, three different lens mounts. Which will become their bread and butter?

I think Sony's done with the A-mount system and taking the full dive into mirrorless.

Latest threads

Top Bottom