ISO 100 and Dynamic Range of Lumix G2

ajramirez

Mu-43 Veteran
When I first acquired my Oly E-P1, I remember reading advice from (I believe) Brian Mosley and others to the effect that ISO 100 on the E-P1 was more limited as to dynamic range, and therefore ISO 200 should be used as a base ISO. I have followed that advice.

Upon buying the G2, I have continued to use ISO 200 as my base ISO, avoiding ISO 100. Is there a reason to continue to do this? Given that both cameras have the same sensor, is ISO 100 limited as to dynamic range on the G2 as well?

Thanks,

Antonio

NetizenSmith

Mu-43 Regular
Well DxoMark disagree with the concept that ISO 200 yields better DR that ISO 100. I don't really trust anything but my own eyes so I'd do a couple of tests myself Antonio.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Antonio,
I checked my images from the G2 last night. I don't see much difference between 100 & 200. Your camera may be different but I feel it's the same.
Don

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
Not so much difference

I think you're getting hung up on numbers, measured specs that while on paper show one is better than the other may not actually be so visually superior. I read the reviews, add them all up and divide by two - than I form my own opinion.

If the measurement methods were all standardized and accurate than the results of these reviews would all be the same. Obviously they are not, so at least in part we are reading editorial opinions. I've learned to only use them to create things that I need to check out for myself.

dko22

Mu-43 Regular
I'm guessing this will help you make your determination:
DxOMark - Compare sensors

quite different results are obtained by the world's oldest and probably best known photography magazine

Review of the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 - Digital SLR Reviews - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

It'll be interesting to see their GH2 review as their tests don't seem to support the results on a number of internet sites that the :43: format in general has rather mediocre DR. Which probably just goes to show that it's better to test in the field and I particularly like the Luminous Landscape reviews which put real world shooting above lab tests.

Latest threads

Top Bottom