1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Isn't it time for a fixed focal length M4/3 premium compact?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by agentlossing, Jun 8, 2016.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The LX100 proved that Panasonic at least sees the use of putting a micro four thirds sensor in a fixed lens compact. There is enough of a market for single focal length premium compacts, and I think Panasonic (or Olympus!) could do it really well. Here's what I would want:
    • Some rejiggering of the 20mm f/1.7 lens. I'd like something just a little narrower than a 17mm, and the venerable 20mm needs a reboot. Panny could inset the lens a little into the body to save room and perhaps even have the luxury of designing a new AF system that doesn't move the whole darn internal lens assembly (resulting in slow AF).
    • Metal build like the LX100 and GM series cameras, could be a little chunkier to accommodate sensor and lens (match up with the size of the X100 series, maybe a tad smaller). Shutter speed and aperture dials/ring would probably be a must for the retro crowd.
    • Sensor from the GX85 (no AA filter) and - hopefully - the same 5-axis IBIS. I know this is part of the reason the GX85 is chunky and a little heavy, but it's worth it.
    • Nice EVF... I personally don't mind the GX85 one, but if they could fit the GX8 EVF that would be even better, perhaps even an articulated EVF?
    • Same tilting LCD as the GX85.
    Put this out at maybe $200 under the top X100 model's release price. I'd kill for it! What say you to this daydream?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Personally, I'd want something in the 13-15mm range with a waterproof housing. Shockproof would be nice, but not nearly as essential. Like a Leica X-U with 1/4 the price tag and a more sensible focal length (35mm equivalent is dumb for underwater photography, sorry to say - Leica is charging too much for a part's bin special)

• Like Like x 1
  3. AgentMichaelScarn

AgentMichaelScarn Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    IMO it's not really necessary. We have so many compact primes and compact bodies. There is greater benefit to fixed lenses in terms of size reduction with zooms, like the LX100. You'd probably be happy with the GX85 and an updated 20mm, plus you can change the lens when you need something more than a fixed lens compact.

• Like Like x 1
  4. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    They should offer a 14mm option as well, go up against the X70 -- although the X70's price point might be a little harder to compete with, although just stick an EVF on it and it's automatically more appealing to me.

5. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    But if you didn't have the lens mount and the focal plane shutter to worry about, you could collapse the entire (leaf-shutter) 20mm lens inside the body of the camera until it nearly contacted the sensor, and you'd have something that would legitimately slip into a pocket if you so desired.

• Like Like x 1
  6. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm not saying it's necessary... I'm just saying there are enough suckers out there who will buy it ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    I am not one of them. :biggrin:

Cant see the attraction in something like that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AgentMichaelScarn

May 27, 2016
    That's true, but how much smaller than a GM1+pancake would you want? Many people add a grip to small bodies like the GM1 because once you get that small, handling suffers.

9. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Small like a Ricoh GR would be nice.

For pocketability, I feel like the thickness is the most important dimension. I already consider the RX100 III and IV too thick to really fit into a pocket. Even though the Ricoh is a little taller and wider, it's thinner and so works fits more nicely. It also has a little grip.

10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The thing about the GM1 is, there are definite trade-offs made to get it down to its size. You couldn't fit the GX85 electromagnetic shutter with IBIS into a GM1, not even close. But, with a fixed focal length lens you could bring the overall size down a lot and still have a substantial hardware improvement over the GM cameras.

11. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Would be of no interest to me nor to enough people to make it viable. Give me a small mid-range zoom (edit: on a compact) any day. Something like 21-85mm eqiv.

Carry on dreaming...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  12. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm not talking about M4/3 system users, I'm talking about everybody who buys fixed-focal-length compacts. Obviously there are enough of those for Sony to make a second RX1 model and Fuji to do quite well with their X100, and branch off into the X70... I think the market is interested.

13. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, a 23mm f2 on APS-C performs like a 17mm f1.6 or f1.7 on M4/3 (the Panasonic M4/3 f1.7 lenses are sharper wide open than the Fuji), so if an APS-C model like the X100 is popular, I don't see why a slightly smaller M4/3 version with a faster lens and the user interface that Panasonic or Olympus fans have grown to love (touchscreen features!) wouldn't have a market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I'll take my GM5 or GX85 and a fast pancake series. Say 12mm / 14mm / 17mm / and 20mm, all pancakes and all f/1.7-2.0 with fast AF.

15. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I would think that the disagreement on focal lengths here on this thread already shows why this isn't going to work

16. AgentMichaelScarn

May 27, 2016
    Who knows? In the future, Panasonic might be able to bring things like the EM shutter and IBIS into its smaller bodies.

I think Panasonic and Olympus could better spend their R&D resources on other things like sensor development (organic sensor plz) or lenses, which all M43 users can enjoy with their existing bodies. I would love to see an updated Panasonic 7-14mm or an ~8-17mm f2.8 with OIS. Also a wider-than-12mm prime, or updated pancake primes.

17. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    So put out a cool M4/3 compact and make more $$! ;)

18. AgentMichaelScarn

May 27, 2016
    Lol well there's probably more money to be made with lenses that everyone can use. Looking at your setup, don't you ever want something wider than 17mm? I'd look into the Panasonic 12-32; it's ridiculously small and cheap for what it is. Even if you just use it as a 12mm f3.5 prime (only 2/3 stop slower than f2.8), it'd be worth it. It's a good match for the GM5 and GX85, plus with a firmware upgrade you get dual IS.

19. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Pics of 12mm pancake or ban!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I don't care about the sensor size m43,aps-c or 1" camera that would fit in the pocket would be great. Something like the Olympus stylus epic 35mm f2.8. I tried the gm1 + 20mm but it doesn't fit in the pocket so at that point I may as well carry my em5ii

• Agree Agree x 1