1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Isle of Wight -suggestions

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WasOM3user, Oct 22, 2013.

1. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    My family and I will be bringing our four m4/3's cameras and various lenses to the Isle of Wight next week (EM-5, 2x EPL-3 and G3).

I know there are a few users based on the island and I would be grateful if you could make some suggestions for photographic opportunities that may different from the standard tourist areas (unless you suggest some if these are worth considering). Open to most genre.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance or suggestions.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm no native, but have visited it several times. Love the place. Most of the coast is very picturesque. The coastal path is a great way to explore and hugely enjoyable with or without a camera. West wight has the most rugged scenery and gives some fantastic sunsets if the weather plays ball. The east coast is great for sunrises of course - I've taken some great blue hour shots at Bembridge and Shanklin for example. The Alum coast (west wight just north of the Needles) has some spectacular colours in the cliffs.

The real expert is Steve Gascoigne though - you can find his work here: http://www.availablelight.cc. He gives location info on his shots.

Some of my own, more modest stuff is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_kaye/sets/72157627887577697/

Hope you have a great stay.

• Like Like x 3
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Paul, while you may be modest, your pictures are terrific!

4. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Many thanks for taking the time to respond and for both links.

I will spend some time checking these out fully this evening and as already suggested - your pictures are at odds with your modesty.

Not sure if I'm inspired by the quality of images or depressed by my inability to attain such quality. I'm not sure from the weather forecast if opportunities will present themselves or if it's going to be mainly moody B&W's!!

Sorry for the brevity but I am using my phone to respond

5. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    I spend quite a bit of time there and my first thought was exactly the same. The sunsets over the south west coast are fantastic in the right conditions (from niton onwards, heading west on the coast road or path). If you come from an area with lots of light pollution, it is also worth noting that the skies can be pretty dark if you face away from the mainland so there is the opportunity to take some good star photos if the weather and moon permit. One daytime walk that is really varied is to head west on the coast path from Ventnor which takes you over some cliffs, along a sea wall, through a secluded cove and through the botanic garden (free entry) and back to more cliffs, all in the first couple of miles. Great walk, loads of photos...

Otherwise, just explore. It's a great time to visit and there are loads of picturesque villages inland as well as by the coast.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thanks for the compliments Paul - but really, I'm a long way from the work that Steve Gascoigne produces, for example. Another tip is to visit St Catherine's lighthouse. If it's still in season, there are guided visits that provide good opportunities to see Victorian engineering in all its splendour (but make sure you take a UWA). There are some nice wetlands too at the RSPB's Brading Marshes near Sandown - might be interesting if you're into birds/wildlife.

7. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Might try the bird sanctuary - we need to give my wife's new 45-175 Lumix a workout and compare it to my daughter's Oly 40-150.

So that EPL-3 + 40-150 vs
    G3 + 45-175 vs
    EM5 with both!!

8. timg

timg Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2012