iShoot E-M5 grip

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Danny_SWE, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Purchased this grip for the E-M5. Felt like the camera was a little "slippery" sometimes, wanted something more to hold since I have quite large hands. So this grip made it. Feels almost like the E-M1 in size.

It's made of metal and is a really fine piece of machinery. The fit is great. There is also included one horisontal and one vertical tripod plate. Not on the photos. You need a 4mm insex wrench. There is a standard tripod mount so you can attach your own plate/tripod and the hole is a little more center in the CoG than original thread.

The handle is great, makes it a little more beefier. Since it metal surface the grip could be a little better maybe, some tape of some kind solves that. The shutter button is a little far back with this mounted I think but I guess I'll get used to that (the original grip has an extra button further forward). No problem to open battery compartment or the USB-flap. Flip the display is no problem but the SD-card slot is hidden though so you need to remove it to access.

The weight of the unit without the mounting plates (like seen on the photos) is about 113 gram. So it increases the weight of the E-M5 significantly so I have a feeling this is not a good option if you want a light travel setup.

Final words. At a quite low price you get a whole new feeling to the E-M5 in terms of ergonomic handling, the benefits are greater than the added weight I think. There are lots of grips like this and I haven't been fortunate to try other ones yet so I can't compare.

Here is it on eBay, but I ordered straight from their homepage.

[​IMG]E-M5 iShoot grip 01 by Zarako, on Flickr

[​IMG]E-M5 iShoot grip 05 by Zarako, on Flickr

[​IMG]E-M5 iShoot grip 04 by Zarako, on Flickr

[​IMG]E-M5 iShoot grip 03 by Zarako, on Flickr

[​IMG]E-M5 iShoot grip 02 by Zarako, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I have one that I'm not using anymore after I got the RRS grip.
    Anyone interested can PM me if they want one at a discount.
  3. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Thanks for the review. Saw that grip while I was researching various options, but couldn't find much info about it.
  4. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Lame that it blocks the card slot. That is a non starter for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app
  5. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    I bought the JB grip... light weight and same price. Heard about it?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mu-43 mobile app
    • Like Like x 1
  6. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    I've got a similar grip - I just use the USB cable to download - no problem at all.
  7. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Think I've heard about it. Is it good? Weight?

Sent from my Lenovo K910 using Tapatalk
  8. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
  9. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Aha yes I've read a lot about that one :)

Sent from my Lenovo K910 using Tapatalk
  10. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    JB grip on Amazon

I've had one for a couple of weeks. I like the feel of it. Even though I don't have particularly large hands, I found the EM-5 awkward to hold. The grip really helps.

I haven't tried any other grips on the EM-5, so I can't offer any comparison info. The more rounded edge of the iShoot grip is appealing, though.
  11. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    I have the JB grip as well and I love it. Lightweight and gives 1000x better grip.
  12. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I've had a JB grip for over a year, but until today I was ambivalent about it. I can be a bit fanatical about reducing the size and weight of my kit, and I wasn't sure that the extra hold the JB grip (or any grip) gives was worth the size and weight penalty. As a result, I haven't used it consistently when shooting with kit zooms and small primes.

Today I took delivery of the Olympus 12-40mm. I was worried that the lens would feel unbalanced on the EM5 and that handling would be awkward. With the ungripped EM5 handling is not ideal, but with the JB grip it's excellent. The balance reminds me a lot of my old Canon 5D with 24-105 lens (except, of course, the Olympus kit is about half the size and weight). Now sold on the JB.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
  13. Search

Search Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2014
    Do you have the grip base version or the wooden one?
  14. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    JB looks like the way to go unless I can find a deal on the Oly battery grip