1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is warranty important to you?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Promit, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    When dealing with digital cameras and their related lenses/accessories, does warranty matter to you?

Obviously there's a lot of used equipment being shuffled back and forth around here. I myself tend to buy almost nothing new; crumpling and picking up a brand new E-M5 might have been the first time. I am hoping that the money I save buying used comes out ahead of whatever I have to pay in repairs over time, and so far that's held.

Are there particular categories that you much prefer to buy new than used because of warranty coverage? Have any of you benefited from having a warranty, or conversely regretted not having one? And lastly, do any of you take extended warranty coverage from companies like Squaretrade?

2. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    My personal view:

A warranty is important, but more important on a brand-new item than one that has been used -- overall, I think most product failures occur shortly after purchase. However, I have no facts or data to back that up.

I buy lots of equipment used, but I consider the lack of warranty when I compare the used price to the new price, and I will not buy a used item if the savings is relatively small compared to new.

I have used warranty service on two occasions: Once, to have the Panasonic-Leica 14-50 f/2.8 kit lens on my L1 replaced when it jammed. In that case, i had purchased the L1 kit refurbished on e-bay.

The second time, it was a SWD motor failure on a Digital Zuiko 50-200mm. I wasn't sure if Olympus would honor the warranty because I had purchased the lens on E-Bay with an E-30 kit from a camera store clerk who had won the outfit in a sales contest (brand new in sealed boxes). But Olympus honored the warranty and replaced the lens.

I never, ever, ever, EVER buy third-party warranties. I buy insurance for things I cannot afford to replace or live without (primarily home and auto) but I figure if Best-Buy or SquareTrade or whoever figures they can make a profit selling me a warranty then I can be sure that refusing the warranty will save me money in the long run.

3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Well, my EM5 was sent out to Olympus 2 times already, requiring a replacement of the entire sensor assembly the second time. I'm glad I had warranty in this case. Had I purchased it used or on a grey market, my warranty claim might have been denied.

Having said that, I have NEVER had to file a warranty claim on any other electronic equipment that I have owned. The only reason why I sent the camera to Olympus was because I was lucky enough to get one early and returning it meant I had to wait for new stock to become available. I find that most electronics fail within in the first few weeks of use if they are ever going to fail, so exchanging it for a another one usually solves the problem.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't care about warranty. I can't be bothered to send anything in, anyways.

5. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I treat warranty as something nice to have and worth a little money but if the savings are good enough I'm happy to buy something without warranty.

6. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    I'm unconcerned. if it has warrnaty then great, but it's never a purchasing consideration. Franky it's too much hassle - and delay.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Depends upon the price; recently I acquired a new 14mm Panasonic for under $180 U.S. (from China, split out of a camera/lens kit). For that amount I'm willing to take a risk. When I bought a Nikon 70-200mm for nearly $2000 U.S. the warranty was a factor; I would not buy a "gray market" lens in that price range. A used lens would have been considered, again based on price.

New model camera bodies and flash units. Fuji had, as I recall, some issues with 'sticky aperture blades' on the X-100 early release models. On new technology one cannot be certain that the manufacturer got it right on version 1.0. On used flash units one cannot determine the number of flashes, or if the flash has been abused by overheating, etc.

The Nikon lens noted above was returned to Nikon for service. I was at an air show and was knocked down by a member of the crowd while I was focused on making a photograph of the Blue Angels. After the fall the lens aperture blades were stuck in the wide open position. I sent the lens in for service and Nikon covered the repairs, including a full cleaning, under the warranty. I had fully expected to have to pay for the repairs but the Nikon rep only noted that "Nikon professional lenses are expected to be tougher than that".

I had a Tamron lens that front-focused and Tamron replaced that unit under warranty.

I don't.

Regards,

Jim

8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I wouldn't buy a new camera without a warranty, but that's pretty much a non-issue, since they all come with one. But E-P1, E-M5, and XZ-1 are the only new cameras I've ever bought. The used stuff I buy has to be guaranteed to work when I get it but that's it. I"ve never had to use Cameta's 1 year warranty on refurbished (and I buy a lot of refurbished stuff), but it's been nice to have. It's one consideration among many -- like SENSOR SIZE!

9. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    The best warranty is the one you never have to use.

When buying used camera equipments, I prefer a return policy from the seller to make sure they’re not trying to dump me their defect stuffs for money.
    As for official warranty, the chance of getting replacement is low here. More likely they’ll recommend a service which takes away precious time you could’ve used to put the camera or lens to work.

The rest, my previous experience with two HP notebook shows the thing is broken after the warranty expired, so maybe it's time bombed.