1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

is very low ISO possible?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by brainhulk, Oct 31, 2010.

1. brainhulk

brainhulk Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 11, 2010
    I remember playing around with my GF1 a while ago trying to shoot a long exposure on moving water and it was just too much light. My buddy told me I had to by a filter, but I thought they should just enable lower ISO.

I'm just a beginner and I'm not really sure if I want to spend the money on too many accessories...

2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The lowest ISO on these cameras is ISO100. Some cameras have an ISO50 setting, but it's an interpolated setting and none that I know of have anything like the ASA25 film I'm still using. The Fuji X100 is supposedly coming out with a built-in 3-stop ND filter, which should make it very nice for the kind of shots you're talking about, and it would allow it to shoot in equivalent ISO25 mode using the base ISO200 setting.

Your best bet for long exposures is setting your camera to ISO100, and using ND/polarizing filters. Normally a polarizing filter adds roughly 2-stops of light filtering in addition to the polarization effect, so I'd start with that, then add ND filters as necessary.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Did you stop down the aperture? These cameras seem to always shoot wide open if you let them

This is precisely what the "program shift" function is for