IS & Tripod: OMD EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marklikesit, Nov 28, 2012.

1. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Hi guys,

Quick question for you.

I've read here and there on the forum that when using a tripod, we should turn image stabilization off for the EM5, why is this?

Regards,

Mark

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It specifically states to disable when placed on a tripod in the manual. From my understanding is that most stabilization (not just our camera system) works on some sort of feedback loop which needs some input or risks actually introducing vibrations. Perhaps someone will chime in with more details. This was also true when i shot with other systems such as Canon. Some can detect when the camera is on a tripod and disable the IS automatically

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I only turn on IS when actually needed for the same reason. If you are shooting in bright sunlight you shouldn't need it unless you have a very long lens. Basically you need it when either you have a long lens and/or the light is low. The rest of the time it might help or it might hinder. I choose to shut it off assuming the later will happen.

4. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Thanks for responding guys. Okay but what happens when it hinders? Say you leave it on whilst on a Tripod? I've had it on since day one and never switched it off, even whilst on a tripod. Doesn't seem to affect anything? - mark

5. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I tried it on a tripod for fun and got sharp files ? could not tell the difference of on or off ?

on a tripod though I will turn it off :)

otherwise I keep it on %100 when shooting as I dont want to bother going into the menus to turn it on and off :)

6. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Yeah that's why I'm curious as to the downsides of leaving it on - I don't seem to see any downsides to leaving it on - am I missing something vital here?

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You can get the "double image" effect on your edges. Not much different from the motion blur you get from not using IS at slow shutter speeds hand-held. The IS is trying to compensate for movement which isn't there, and will instead add motion instead of taking it away.

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    At first I actually had trouble using cameras that have IS...I'm able to handhold a camera very still, 500mm down to 1/50th, and 14mm for 2.5 seconds.

Trying IS for the first time my handheld shots became blurry, because the IS mech was trying to anticipate handshake when there was none...same thing happens with using an IS camera on a tripod.

9. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Thanks so much Ned. My god, i didn't realise this. Have you noticed this blurring yourself?

I've noticed this on my voightlander for some reason. Had to turn the IS off when I whack that lens on. I get a double effect when i use flash with this lens. Turn off IS, and no problemo.

10. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Mike: any tips for how you hold the camera so bloody still ? :) Do share your technique!

11. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Guys, what's the difference between IS 1, 2 , 3 in the menu settings?

12. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    From the Manual :-

IS Off - Image stabilizer is off.
    1 - Auto - Image stabilizer is on.
    2 - Vertical IS Image - stabilization applies only to vertical camera
    shake. Use when panning the camera horizontally.
    3 - Horizontal IS - Image stabilization applies only to horizontal camera
    shake. Use when panning the camera horizontally with the
    camera held in portrait orientation.

13. therourke

therourke Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    London
    {found here}

14. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Thank you so much guys!

15. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    On some older SONY HandyCam models the IS ("SteadyShot") gets really confusing when it's mounted on a tripod with no movement feedback. It gets into a loop and shifts the sensor/image left and right slowly and continuously. It's funny to see it in action but painful if you need the footage...

16. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    There's no big secret. When I started there was only ISO64 and ISO25, so you had to learn how to hold the camera steady, or ALWAYS use a tripod.

First is holding the camera properly, including supporting the lens...lots of info online on how to do that.

Second, feet...I like having one slightly in fornt of me, and the other slightly behind me, so the rest of me is balanced in the middle.

Third, just have a little breath in me to sustain me for the exposure...don't exhale fully, don't inhale fully.

Last, squeeze the shutter release and keep it down for the duration of the exposure...don't jab at it, and don't release it until the exposure is done (unless you're handholding in bulb/livebulb where you have to release it to stop the exposure).

I admit I've had several decades of practice, but almost anyone can master this (unless you have a natural shake).

17. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    I think I have a slight natural shake

18. Naftade

Naftade Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I think this depends on the camera and the lens you are using. I found, that some lenses (especially tamron lenses) cause severe blur when you put them on a tripod with IS enabled. With my OMD-lenses I did not experience this effect.

Right now I'm deciding on the question which walk-around fast prime I should keep. I already own the Panasonic 20 f1.7 and got a Pana/Leica 25 f1.4 yesterday.

Among other test methods I put my OM-D on a tripod and shot my library with both lenses. Since my brother told me, that he had bad experiences with his OM-D on a tripod with the IS on, I tried the lenses at f4 with and without IS.
    To my surprise I couldn't make out any difference at all. Not even while 100% pixel peeping.

19. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Hmm thanks for your feedback. The only time IS caused a problem for me was with the voightlander and flash.

20. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    A thought occurred to me.I note that the manual on the EM-5 says you can disable IS with multiple shots,so if you want to be sure just take two shots when using tripod. I don't know if this feature only kicks in after the first shot or if it applies to the first shot as well. Anyone know? I often get a better shot anyway since you already have the shutter pushed on the second shot.