Is tripod allowed in Bangkok's rooftop bars

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by rossi46, Jul 8, 2013.

1. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Hello all,

Checking with any fellow forumers that have been to the Bangkok rooftop bars.

Do they allow tripods? I would imagine the space is quite crammed, and its an upper class bars, so most likely they have a policy of no-tripods as it may disrupts movements of patrons or waiters alike, or that tripods may seem to make the place becoming photo-shoot areas instead of place for relaxing.

I have not made up my mind which one I would like to go to, so many of them - Vertigo, Red Sky, Octave, Muse, Long Table, Above Eleven, 360 Millenium, Blue Sky.

In addition to my tripod questions, please contribute on the following to the thread -
    - which one you have been to, which one you think is the best for photography and atmosphere.
    - yes,....and if you don't mind, share your pictures of the rooftop bars..:))

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I would probably recommend 'The Sky Bar' at the The State Tower. It is a great bar (second highest in BKK) and has about the best view of Bangkok. I doubt they would let you bring a tripod and there really isnt enough room around the bar. However there is a wall that you could rest your camera on or possibly use a mini tripod.

I am pretty sure you could use a tripod at 'The Rooftop Bar - Baiyoke 2'. This is the highest bar in Bangkok but the bar is very crummy and the view a bit dull (unless you want to take shots of cars trailing lights at spaghetti junction.)

Vertigo, I havent been to in years but I seem to remember that there was something about the design that actually spoilt the view. Blue Sky is well out of town so you dont get the City vista. Long Room is a bit too low to be particularly interesting. Red Sky I havent been to and is relatively new as well as pretty well located both for a good view and for convenience.

3. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Thanks for the tip Robbie. Yeah, I doubt most of the bars would allow tripods, I can imagine the inconvenience and disruption to the people there. The main objective of the bar is for upper class relaxation with magnificient ambience and view, rather than to be spoilt by alot of "customers" going there for photo-shoots setting up tripods all over the place.

Well, of late I had been looking for a lot of photos of each bar and try to judge which is the best for photos, whether its a really tall 60 storey or medium height 30 storeys, etc. I thought both have their pros and cons in terms of photographic opportunities, a really tall ones has great vantage panaromic view, but the surrounding buildings are sort of too far away. Those lower ones may give you opportunities of having many sky rise buildings higher than your level as a backdrop or background of your photo. I am still undecided.

I have actually been to Vertigo once a couple of years ago, that time I don't have a camera yet. It had been lauded by many (including Bangkok.com website) as the best roof top bar in Bangkok. Ambience is cool, though the surroundings looks abit too distance away. And the photographic opportunity seems limited to take the shape of "space ship like" bar against a background. But, there was one Flickr photo of Chris Hannah who managed to capture a brilliant shot of this composition at the perfect evening lighting.

I think choice of bar may be a compromise of coolest ambience as high as possible, but uncreative / limited photographic angle vs. less cool ambience with plenty more compositional opportunities.

4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Yes I was more thinking of the views rather than trying to fit the bar in as well. The Sky Bar is next to the river which is nice. To be honest the night time views of Bangkok are not that impressive because not all that amount of lights are switched on.

You can potentially get 'The Sky Bar' and the surroundings in a picture as 1) The bar itself is on the extreme edge of the building and 2) You walk down steps to get to the main bar area - thus you can shoot the bar from above.

5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I've not been to Bangkok, but you might consider a Gorillapod or similar.
    You are sure to get no hassle from guests or staff. Plus you are less encumbered when travelling around.
    Don't take a gorilla with you though. They don't let those in. And they can't hold a camera very steady.

6. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    LOL I wont take Gorilla with me, instead I will bring Orang Utan from MAlaysia.
    They should allow this creature to go in,..in Malay language,
    Orang Utan literally means "Jungle Human". Technically they cannot ban Orang Utan from going in.

7. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I can't bring any to hand at the moment but I got some nice shots from the rooftop bar at the Banyan Tree hotel.

No tripod used, just balancing the camera (e-pl3) on the rail (and some coins for angles!)

I'm not sure there's much "famous" backdrop from there, but there's plenty of city around you. Will dig up some pics when I have access to my PC later.