Is this the sensor for e-m1,mk2?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Speedliner, Sep 25, 2015.

1. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I'm 100% OK with the same MP count if the IQ is increased across the board - ISO noise, DR.

Improvements with BSI sensors is noticeable, especially in high ISO.
    A global output shutter would be great as well.

A big determining factor with any IQ is how the camera maker handles the bits/bytes. For years, Nikonand Sony used the same sensors in cameras and Nikon engineers have been able to pull out more detail and suppress more noise than Sony could. Sony has gotten better at that over the years and closed the gap.

Olympus puts together a pretty mean jpg and their EM1 RAW files have a more grain-like feel to them than digital noise,which is better than digital mottling or artifacting we see in other makers files (regarding more toward hi ISO than base ISOs).
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I'm, in general very impressed with how "filmic" M4/3 files are at higher ISOs. This is probably mostly to do with the way I favour image processing (a healthy dose of chroma noise reduction, no luminance noise reduction, some sharpening), but it means that the noise that I do get feels like grain to me.

Ironically, I notice this quality more with the GX1 than my GX7, since my GX7 handles noise better and I rarely end up seeing much of it at the normal ISOs that I shoot, especially with the IBIS.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    A BSI m4/3 sensor with a 1/3 stop higher noise ceiling isn't going to cause a revolution but if it was offered you wouldn't say no.
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The main point of this is high resolution global shutter, the BSI is just required so that the memory cells required for global shutter don't completely kill the performance of the light storage well. Practically very useful for machine vision and industrial applications already (the main market for Olympus, don't forget), but a readout rate of only 5 FPS means this particular unit is probably not going to be in a flagship handheld camera just yet. I certainly don't see this as an attempt to incrementally increase IQ.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  5. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I'm also totally OK with 16MP, don't really need more, but would certainly welcome lower light sensitivity and lower noise overall.

This sensor looks like it could be worth waiting for.