1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is this the Panasonic G5? GF5 coming April 5?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The image below shows the Panasonic G3 on the left and on the right, an image of the rumored G5 which has been making the rounds on the rumor sites:

7023802919_6f6d54a1a3_o.

If this is real, I like the redesign. The hump is less humpy, and the shutter release button placement looks very functional.

According to 43 Rumors, the Panasonic G5 image is "definitely" legit.

Digicame-info is stating that the GF5 will be announced on April 5, and various sources are now reporting that the G5 will not be announced at the same time and is more likely to be announced in May or June.

2. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Amin - did I miss something? Where is a G4 before we get a G5?

3. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    4 is an unlucky number in Japan

• Like Like x 1
  4. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    I want IBIS!

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    LOL, so do I.

6. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    The Japoneze people are very paranoid about the number 4 because it sounds/look (with there wierd but lovely language) to much with the word death so they tried to avoid it as much as possible, like: they don't have floor number 4 or apartment with the number 4 (be it 4x, 4xx, 4xxx etc). Thats one reason why Canon prefered to call there DSLR Canon EOS Kiss and not 400D or 450D but an interestin move from Nikon (by there standard) to issue Nikon D4, allthou is reasonable since its successor to D3, anyway Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 does'nt sound to bad and lets all hope theres a decent enough features and IQ upgrade to consider it better then G4 and G3 to skip them :rofl:

7. LindaZ

LindaZ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2012
    North Carolina
    Any indication of price range?

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I actually like the weird look. It looks like it'll grip really well w/o increasing much in volume. If they reposition the back buttons so you can easily do back button AF, I'm almost sold. The E-M5 might spoil me w/ IBIS and I'll just pick up a used one to replace the G3 down the line as a backup.

9. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    If and only if it has the same or maybe better (I wish) number of external controls like the old G2 and higher IQ (which should be expected) an better high ISO performance I may consider upgrading my G2.

5 thing I need it to have so I reason the motive to upgrade:

*Keep the Full-Flexeble Tilt-Out LCD (Would be nice to upgrade the 460K to 920K pixel, it's getting old using the same LCD for 4 generations now isnt?)
    *The good (not best anymore) 1.4M pixel EVF WITH THE EYE SENSOR (I would pay extra for the new, higher pixel count EVF, like the one on Sony SLTs, 4 generations of same EVF like the LCD, come on Panasonic you could do so much better, dont get lazy now!!!)
    *Excelent ISO 1600 performance, good 3200 ISO and usable 6400 ISO
    *The same good-old external controles level, make it even better and I'll slape you a few extra $$$
    *Give me a god damn Wireless Flash option for f*** sakes

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'd expect small improvements in the sensor (maybe equal to the OM-D), but not likely much more in terms of external controls. The body is as small as the G3, and there just isn't a lot of room. I think eye control is a good bet, as it seems to me Panasonic is listening to what people didn't like about the G3 (like the tiny grip).

11. bubbaj

bubbaj Mu-43 Rookie

May 24, 2011
    I agree with RaZZ3R. If the G5 has those upgrades I will finally upgrade my body from GF1.

12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Am I the only one reminded of the Leica S2 when looking at the G5 - or at least the image that's making the rounds?

13. G'kar

G'kar Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2010
    Singapore
    Haha, not only the Japanese but the number 4 taboo extends to the Chinese too, especially the Cantonese in HK. Having said that, Canon doesn't seem to be concerned as their EOS Kiss series begin with 4xx here in Asia.

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Nope, that was my first reaction as well. Of course if you put them side by side, things are a little different :smile:.

15. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    And Oly had the OM-4, Canon the G4.

American's are no different though. Most tall buildings lack a 13th floor, my house number ends in 15, the one next door in 11 (no 13), etc.

16. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Looks ugly to me. But then the g3 looked ugly to me too compared to the g2 when it first came out. It grew on me after while though.

17. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    I only talk abou Japan because it's the most important and biggest camera market in Asia but true it's a Asian think and differs from one country to another in termns of supersticion.

18. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Sexyness can be overcomed by usefullness, especialy with time, and the high price of an mirrorless or DSLR is payed not to show off. Well the sexyness of my G2 makes it slighly more engoyeble :wink:

19. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    The more you look the more you realize that the different betwin G1, G2 and G3 (wou can even look at GF and GH series) are beeing minimal with every generation and only by skiping one or two model you start to get the worth of youre money's buy. As much as I would like to belive even the high ISO performance isn't all that step-up as I would like and let's be fair with such a small senzor you can't and you won't see much improvments and will never see a M43 resolving a lower noise at high ISO better then APS-C senzor, maybe the ones pre-2005 tehnology level. Still I found ISO 12.800 to high, thats marketing today, on M43 to be of any use, ok maybe thumbnail and ICO files.

20. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I like the look; maybe it's time to upgrade??? (depending on improvements other than cosmetic)