1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is This the Olympus Pen E-P5?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    A reader just sent me the image below, which looks like a (? Photoshop'd) gripless version of an image recently posted at 43 Rumors.

8682424789_e17a19a940_o.

According to 43 Rumors, the E-P5 will be announced on May 9 and will use the OM-D E-M5 sensor in addition to offering improved image stabilization and autofocus speed when compared to the E-M5. Rumors further indicate that there will be kits available with the Olympu 17mm f/1.8 lens (as pictured) as well as the 14-42mm kit zoom.

2. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    A little difficult to get remotely excited about this release. 43rumour posters are bickering about the lack of rumored built in EVF, and for the quoted release price, I have to agree with their sentiments.

Without wishing to start another campaign of bashing regarding the lack of built in EVF, I simply cannot understand why anybody would pay $1000 for a camera which requires another several hundred dollars to add a feature that makes the camera fully usable. Many supporters of the lack of EVF state that the EM5 already has one and therefore it is not required in the Pen series. I cannot agree with this. The 4th iteration of the top Pen and still no built in EVF after years of requests from customers.

I cannot see this camera being a large volume seller at the price of $1000. The innovative streak from Oly seems to have halted again after the release of the EM5. One would hope that Olympus has not invested huge amounts of capital in R&D on this camera; sales figures will ultimately tell the story soon enough.

One day in the future either Olympus or Panasonic will release a Pen / GX series body with a built in EVF, and it will sell in huge volumes.

3. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    If it comes with the 17mm f/1.8 that would explain $1000 as a kit. That lens is $500 on its own. That might suggest a body only price of $600-$700.

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

LOL... "Without wishing to start another compaign of bashing regarding the lack of built in EVF.."

Yet the rest of your post is indeed bashing the lack of EVF.

Honestly, IMO... you don't have a good argument since options exist and already complaining about $1000 price point which suggests you would still complain if an EVF equipped version came in at anything more. I doubt the $1000 price point is body alone.

5. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Oh well, just categorize my post as pure frustration and disappointment.

6. picker77

picker77 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I have to agree with Sokar. I'd like to upgrade from my E-P3 (which I dearly love) to a newer/better sensor with built-in EVF, but have never liked the OM-D's humpy look, so I passed on it. I'll live with my rubber-banded-on-to-keep-from-losing-it VF2 on my E-P3 until somebody comes out with a rangefinder-shaped body with a built in EVF with adjustable diopter. I could even happily live with a bit taller and wider body, as long as it stilll retained the classic rangefinder shape.

I'm quite happy with my lens kit as is (Oly kit 14-42 and 40-150, Panny 20 and 100-300). Just show me a new sensor to hang them all on!

7. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Yeah that's shopped. You can see the repeating textures. I think the original photo is real though.

The OM-D is practically the same size as a Pen, so if you want a Pen-sized camera with a viewfinder, I would say get one of them. I prefer rangefinder styling (and more modern styling like the Sony NEX series even more) but they are functionally equivalent.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If it's $1,000 with the 17/1.8 and if there is a slick, lockable EVF then I'd be very interested. But, I would also really want a tilty LCD. Not sure they'll do that on the EP5.

9. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Fuji X-E1? :) Buy used with the 18-55mm lens, just a classic pairing. I ended up doing that when I finally got tired of waiting for Olympus. The X-E1 is now my favorite camera, even more so than the E-M5.

10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I agree a tilty LCD would be a very desirable feature. I've been eyeing the E-PL5 and (other than the sensor), that is the one feature I'm most covetous of over my E-P3.

I'm very intrigued by the rumor that IBIS is improved over the E-M5. I was anticipating that the 5-axis IBIS might be a feature Olympus saved for the OM-D series alone.

As for arguing about the price point, that seems like a pointless endeavor. In any case I'm too much of a cheapskate to lay out for a new body anyway -- I'm really just concerned about whether my next (used) upgrade will be a OM-D or this PEN.

11. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    People complaining when the camera is not even released........ This is why I dont look at 43 rumors

12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I had this same thought when I read somewhere that the 17/1.8 would be a kit lens option for the E-P5. But in all honesty I don't believe it. Consider the E-PL5 intro price as evidence.

I am very curious to see what all this camera brings to the party. I don't think Olympus deserves any derision at the moment. I just have a hard time imagining how the E-P5 (as I am perceiving it) will slot in between the E-PL5 and the E-M5.

13. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    seems like they looked to the fuji x cameras for inspiration. Hopefully it has an evf. I hate the hump on my omd!

14. Reflex

Reflex Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2011
    Joshua Tree, Ca.
    I think the camera is gorgeous, a real classic, right up there with a Leica in looks, but still no EVF. My EP-3 bugged me because I had to hit the button every time I wanted to go back and forth between EVF and OLED, frustrating. With my EM-5, no problem, I love my EM-5, so will keep that. I'm more interested in the Lumix LF-1 as a second camera.

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Same here, but I am finding the EPL5 body just a little too small, and the controls are fiddly. I've love an m43-like NEX6 body (with EVF built in), but if the add-on EVF is small enough and locks, then I could be just fine with the EP5, which is GORGEOUS (IMO)

16. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Olympus has plenty of history to draw from .... this E-P5 rendering/photo looks more inspired by an old PEN-F than it does a Fuji.

olypen32.
    Olympus Pen F

Hmmmm... the PEN-F did have a viewfinder. :cool:

17. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    It actually appears precisely aimed for me. I don't like the form factor of the E-M5 - I don't need a built in EVF, I don't like the hump, the IBIS doesn't interest me, but I do like the screen and external controls and sensor. Unfortunately, the E-PL5 is seriously lacking in useable screen size and external controls, and I don't want a body smaller than my E-PL2 because very often I have a flash mounted on my camera. Both lack the pop up flash, which I do use on my current Olympus bodies to remotely trigger my external Olympus flashes and in a pinch when I have to get the shot. Basically, I like the form factor from the E-P1/P2/PL2/P3 models (and I don't really care for the idea of a corner built in EVF at all), and a higher build quality + new sensor would be enough to make me eventually upgrade.

18. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I look at 43 rumors but they got a couple of big, past rumors totally wrong.

19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I don't get the fuss over the EVF. It's a feature that I neither want nor need. The EM-5 has an EVF - that seems to be the body line that will include one. The E-Px line has never had one and hopefully never will - it would mean a smaller LCD or fewer controls. I love my E-P3 - give it a newer sensor, better IBIS and faster focus and I would be extremely happy. If there were no other options available with an EVF then I could understand the fuss, but there are perfectly good options available.
    Olympus could also lose the built in flash in favor of the add-on that comes with the E-PL3. If I'm going to use flash it will something far more substantial than the built-in. :cool:

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    For those who want an EVF (and you have to admit, people have different needs and desires), the hump makes the EM5 just a little awkward. NEX has shown with the 6 and 7 that the EVF can be built in, and still stay very compact and smooth (nothing to catch when you take it out).

Having said that, though, the NEX 6 and 7 EVF is far inferior to the VF2 or the OMD in terms of eye point. I don't know what the stats are, but as a glasses wearer, the VF2 and OMD accommodate me keeping my glasses on very nicely. The NEX cams get very weak and blurry on the sides, unless I take off my glasses and press my eye in close. I don't know if that's a function of size of the EVF, but I do want to mention that the NEX6 and 7 have, IMO, inferior EVFs, and maybe the VF2 or the new Oly VF is too big to get into a small space.