1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is this strictly ethical?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Itchybiscuit, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Hi guys, just a question on site ethics.

I just bought a copy of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom v5.2. I have a working serial/product code.

My question is simply this, is it within site ethics to allow members to PM me so they can see what an Adobe serial/product code looks like? It's purely an academic exercise for those who haven't seen one before. I'm not advocating anyone goes to the Adobe site and downloads Lightroom v5.2 so they can use this serial. I don't further advocate that once they've done so they should choose to update to v5.3 for a trouble-free download and install.

I even opened a GoogleDrive account and uploaded the Lightroom v5.2 .exe file to it - simply as an exercise to test how GD actually functions...

Anyway, this is all purely hypothetical and I wouldn't do anything to break site rules. Please advise if anything I've said does so and I won't offer to let members see what an Adobe serial/product code looks like in future. :thumbup:

2. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

It would more than likely be against their EULA (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/eula/lightroom.html), unless of course you were selling your copy and would no longer be using it. If you were still intending to use it then it would be both unethical and illegal to share your license key.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    You are absolutely correct in every detail.

However, I was asking about the rules of this site, not those of Adobe.

As a new member I'm very keen to remain within the guidelines and avoid upsetting anyone. My questions remain hypothetical - I am not advocating anything at all. :smile:

4. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Since you were asking:
    A) It's not just unethical, it is helping someone to steal. It's really no different from holding the door open for someone looting a store.
    B) You will find out rather quickly that Adobe is tracking serial number combinations and can disable them for upgrades if there are multiple upgrade attempts form various IP addresses.
    Rudy

• Like Like x 1
  5. Itchybiscuit

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Again, all perfectly correct and true.

I will never again broach the subject with any members of this site.

Rest assured that this is the last hypothetical question I ever pose in this vein.

I thank you for your input, it has been very educational. :smile:

6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Kind of a weird question to ask on a public forum. There are literally hundreds of serials on the internet. If you have a serial already, wouldn't yours be in the same format as others?

• Like Like x 2