Is this set worth the price please ?

MonikaO

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Monika
I live in a country with tons of rain in spring and fall.
My Panasonic gx80 has no weather sealing,
so I am scared to take that out into the rain.
I would love to do some rain photography,
so I started to look for an older set that has weather sealing.
I am on a minimum income and came across the following.
All used but looks in good condition.
It will be mostly for street photography.
Will it be decent or better for it ?

Is this set worth 350 euro, since I dont have a clue :)

Camera body Olypus OM-D E-M5
Olympus M. Zuiko Digital 12-50mm
Batterie handle
Olympus HLD - 6
Remote Control cable RM - UC 1
4x Battery BLN - 1
2x Charger BCN - 1
Pol Filter

It is a light set for my hands which is very important.

Many thanks in advance

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
The original EM5 is still a nice camera, but you may find it a bit cheaper if you look hard for one without the extras. If you think you will use those extras, it's a fair price.

I would say it is not a very good deal. I sold an E-M5 on Marktplaats (Dutch version of eBay) for € 150 a few weeks ago, and you can find several of them for € 200 on Kamera Express in the Netherlands (with 12 months warranty).

The Olympus 12-50mm lens can be had for € 120 (or probably less if you wait a while) and does not have a very good reputation. If you want a weather-sealed lens, consider the Panasonic 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6. It has better image quality, more range, is just as light and is even a bit smaller. I've seen it being sold for € 150 on Marktplaats.

As for the accessories: do you really need those? Extra batteries can come in handy, but do you need an extra charger, a battery grip (which makes the set heavier), and a polarisation filter?

Now of course if you really want the 12-50mm and all the other items on the list, € 350 is not a bad price. If you assume € 150 for the body and € 120 for the lens, that leaves € 80 for the accessories (which is fine if you want all of them).

Also be sure to try the camera before you buy it. I bought a used E-M5 and sold it again after a few weeks because I preferred the handling of Panasonic cameras.

(As for the E-M1: keep in mind that that camera is 100 grams heavier than the E-M5. And the 12-40mm is 170 grams heavier than the 12-50mm and the 12-60mm.)

Oh and about the weather sealing: "weather-sealed" does not mean "waterproof". There is no guarantee that you can shoot for hours in the rain with a weather-sealed camera, without damaging it. It's probably a good idea to bring an umbrella when shooting in the rain. :)

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
That seems a little high to me. If you can afford to spend more, a used EM1 w/12-40 Pro would be great.
I seriously doubt the E-m1 mark I with 12-40mm f/2.8 lens could be found for $350 total, including batteries. Looking at completed listings on e-bay, the cheapest E-m1 mark I was about $300 US and the cheapest 12-40mm was about $375.

I've shot with that combination. In fact I shot with it two weeks ago, because I was doing a steampunk event, and I have a steampunk camera case for the E-m5 and 12-50mm. I have larger cases as well, but I didn't want to carry the weight of those cases. So I went with the case I built a few years ago with the older camera and lens. The pictures came out fine. Sure, if I had been in darker settings, I might have wanted to switch to the E-m1 mark I and 12-40mm and/or faster primes. But for outdoor usage, it is a fine combination.

Note, the 12-50mm is a polarizing lens, in that 1/2 of the people seem to violently hate it, and the other 1/2 think it takes good pictures. Compared to the f/2.8 lenses, it is a slow lens -- on par with the consumer lenses like the 14-42mm f/4-5.6

I would say it is not a very good deal. I sold an E-M5 on Marktplaats (Dutch version of eBay) for € 150 a few weeks ago, and you can find several of them for € 200 on Kamera Express in the Netherlands (with 12 months warranty).

The Olympus 12-50mm lens can be had for € 120 (or probably less if you wait a while) and does not have a very good reputation. If you want a weather-sealed lens, consider the Panasonic 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6. It has better image quality, more range, is just as light and is even a bit smaller. I've seen it being sold for € 150 on Marktplaats.
I dunno. I have both, and I tend to like the Olympus 12-50mm better than the Panasonic 12-60mm f/4-5.6. I bought the 12-50mm with my E-m5 mark I many years ago, and the 12-60mm came with the G85.

As for the accessories: do you really need those? Extra batteries can come in handy, but do you need an extra charger, a battery grip (which makes the set heavier), and a polarisation filter?
When I'm doing serious shooting, yes, having both the grip and lots of batteries helps. But normally (unless I'm doing the steampunk camea) I do leave the grip at home. Whether the OP needs them is a different matter. But the combo is likely cheaper than if you tried to price things out separately.

Now of course if you really want the 12-50mm and all the other items on the list, € 350 is not a bad price. If you assume € 150 for the body and € 120 for the lens, that leaves € 80 for the accessories (which is fine if you want all of them).

Also be sure to try the camera before you buy it. I bought a used E-M5 and sold it again after a few weeks because I preferred the handling of Panasonic cameras.
While I hate the Panasonic interface, and prefer the Olympus. Different strokes for different folks.

(As for the E-M1: keep in mind that that camera is 100 grams heavier than the E-M5. And the 12-40mm is 170 grams heavier than the 12-50mm and the 12-60mm.)

Oh and about the weather sealing: "weather-sealed" does not mean "waterproof". There is no guarantee that you can shoot for hours in the rain with a weather-sealed camera, without damaging it. It's probably a good idea to bring an umbrella when shooting in the rain. :)
Again different strokes and different pain levels.

I have shot with most of my Olympus splash proof cameras in rain storms that lasted 1-3 hours with no protection bags. I have taken the cameras on the boat ride at Niagara Falls, where you get about 10 minutes of solid drenching. I have taken them down flume rides at amusement parks.

I would say, you want to be careful around salt water, as that is dangerous to cameras. And if you are buying the camera used, it might be a good idea to inspect the O-rings to see if they are still tight.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
Is this set worth 350 euro, since I dont have a clue :)

Camera body Olypus OM-D E-M5
Olympus M. Zuiko Digital 12-50mm
Batterie handle
Olympus HLD - 6
Remote Control cable RM - UC 1
4x Battery BLN - 1
2x Charger BCN - 1
Pol Filter
Depending on the overall condition of the camera body and the number of shutter clicks this sounds reasonable to me. Four batteries alone, if OEM, could cost over $100. The lens is weather sealed and a good carry around lens if you have enough light. If the HLD-6 comes with the grip and the extra battery holder that worth on used market another $100.

So its all down to the condition of all the pieces IMHO.

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Depending on the overall condition of the camera body and the number of shutter clicks this sounds reasonable to me. Four batteries alone, if OEM, could cost over $100. The lens is weather sealed and a good carry around lens if you have enough light. If the HLD-6 comes with the grip and the extra battery holder that worth on used market another $100.

So its all down to the condition of all the pieces IMHO.
Agreed.

In Europe price levels are different to the USA, and as far as I can see this is quite a good deal over here.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom