Is this right? ISO 204,800!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by digitalandfilm, Oct 30, 2011.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Canon's new pro camera features Hi ISO setting up to 204,800, new processor, claimed lower noise, 12fps burst rate in RAW, in-camera lens distortion compensation, 61-point AF with intelligent tracking.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    They appear to be binning the sensor to get two stops above the 51,200 ISO of the unbinned sensor. Binning is when you take four pixels (2x2) and add their signals together. That increases the sensitivity four times and halves the resolving power.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I heard that shooting high ISO is a great way to get grainy shots when the light is bad. The new Canon should make some VERY grainy shots. ;)

That' just a number for the rich camera buying tourists. I'd bet money that it's at least 3 steps beyond what anyone would consider usable. And probably smeared and smoothed out like no one's business.

Although NR gets better with every generation. I'm sure that ISO might be usable in another 5 years...maybe. I wonder how the DR is?

EDIT.....
    well looky here...... from a 2 year old camera..... only one step slower.... ISO 102400 Looks like a pretty nice gallery. Good photographer's don't fear noise....they learn how to use it.

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Sounds like a big number but it's only one stop beyond the previous generation...

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    grain is the new sharp... get with it! ;D