Is this possible?

GuyInTexas

Mu-43 Rookie
Hello all. I have been trying to no avail to do something with my EM10, and have decided I am either missing something entirely OR what I want to do isn't possible (yet.)

Goal:
Remove my human induced camera shake prior to a bracketed sequence of photos for an HDR application, with the bracketed series taken as fast as possible. Hand holding the camera isn't working for me, so I want it initiated on a tripod, but with a delay from the pressing the shutter button to let the shaking on the tripod settle out first.

I've tried:
1. OIShare app, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to either initiate an HDR series, or take a high speed set of bracketed shots.
2. Set the camera to take a set of exposures (either using the HDR or bracketing sequence) with a DELAY between when the shutter is first pressed and the FIRST exposure only.

Setting the camera to HDR mode right off the bat doesn't work, because I cannot get an initial delay to work - those items get greyed out of the menu when HDR is enabled. So, next was playing with custom timers and such. The closest I've gotten is setting up a custom timer, with multiple frames set after the initial delay, but the shortest timer value is 0.5 seconds, which doesn't help me reach my goal. (Intended use of this series is getting a good set of multiple exposures for HDR imagery in landscape applications. My enemy here is cloud movement, so I want as little time as possible between exposures.)

I find myself wishing for a simple remote shutter release like I've got for my 7D - but surely there is a way to set up the camera to do what I'm after here... Any input on either how to do it or confirmation that it cannot currently be done would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
-A

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
Hopefully others can answer your question about whether it's possible "in camera," but if not there are remote release cables available for Olympus m4/3 cameras.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
If I understand correctly, you are using a tripod, yes? If so, I am assuming you are striving to eliminate even the slightest of shake. A remote trigger is probably the closest solution. I don't know of a better solution, but I have couple of suggestions that might help some...

1. You could use the touchscreen to initiate the shot. I have found that the induced shake is less than using the shutter button.

2. You could bracket a longer batch of photos, setting up you intervals knowing that you will throw away the first shot.

3. I know this isn't what you asked, but HDR processing software can account for camera movement to align the photos. I use Photomatix Pro and like it a lot.

GuyInTexas

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks for the responses --- I was hoping to have it taken care of "in camera" since there doesn't seem to be any reason the firmware couldn't do it. It appears that I will be getting the cable release RM-UC1 to accomplish what I am after - though if anyone from Olympus is reading this forum, this feature would be nice to have. :).

Thanks again!

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use a cheap $3 generic brand shutter cable that I bought on amazon, works perfectly.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
Don't have an E-10 but maybe it will work like the EM-5, set the self timer before selecting HDR, I think the shortest time frame is 2 seconds. Or set Custom Menu Option E "Anti-shock" to on and then select HDR.

Not sure whether the EM-10 works like the EM-1 or EM-5, but on the EM-5 had to also select Sequential H shooting with a bracketed image set.

GuyInTexas

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi Clint --- I've tried both of those routes, but no luck. It seems the EM-10 ignores the custom timer settings when set to do HDR. I'm certain that the firmware could be changed to incorporate the custom/self timer settings at the same time, it just isn't in there today.

Ron Evers

Mu-43 Regular
In the country, 60km north of Toronto ON CA
Real Name
Ron Evers
Using an E-M5 I just shoot 5 frame exposure bracketing hand held & combine in Photomatrix pro. I have assigned the bracketing to my Fn1 button for easy access when needed. Here is a sample where there was extremes between brights & darks where I employed this process.

P7170243_4_5_6_7HDR.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
Hi Clint --- I've tried both of those routes, but no luck. It seems the EM-10 ignores the custom timer settings when set to do HDR. I'm certain that the firmware could be changed to incorporate the custom/self timer settings at the same time, it just isn't in there today.

That's probably one of the changes they made to separate the least expensive OMD from the other two. Another option to try, don't use HDR.
Use AE Bracketing (page 79 in the manual) set H fps (page 65) and set the Anti-shock. That works on the EM-5 and from the EM-10 manual it looks like it will work.

A remote shutter release is a good idea anyway. Four years I bought an Aputure Pro Coworker Wireless Remote, which can be used wired as well. I bought another and still use both.

Firedogg

Have cash, will spend
Real Name
Michael
Why aren't you using the 2 sec/12 sec self timer like on the E-M5? Operation time: 12 sec., 2 sec. on page 78 of the PDF manual.

I've done plenty of bracketed HDR shots over the years using the 2 sec self timer when on a tripod, wall, table, etc. Right from the E-P1 this has been possible.

Hope this helps.

Latest threads

Top Bottom