1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is this normal for the 40-150 f2.8 and 1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by panamike, Jun 6, 2018.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Unfortunately, that’s normal. Bokeh with the 40-150 naked can be pretty suspect, and it only gets worse with the MC-14.

Many believe that it’s a side effect of designing the lens to render super sharp results for things like test charts and what-not.

My 70-200/2.8 that I use on my Nikon has much nicer/smoother OOF areas. The busy bokeh of the 40-150 is it’s Achilles heel IMO.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Bristolero

Bristolero Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2017
    Alaska/New Zealand
    Mike, I notice the same sometimes with the 300 Pro. Taken @ 1/2000 sec, I doubt it was camera shake. I'm interested to see what better minds say.
    Eric 1806_untitled_084_DxO.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Thanks will need some serious thought then.

4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    This is exactly what is causing it, more or less. I suspect that Olympus wanted to make a huge splash in photography world and designed the lenses for ultimate sharpness, the one thing that can be tested since most other things are all subjective. It appears they solved some of the problem when they made the 300/4 but it is still there, just not nearly as bad as the 40-150. I think that is why they announced a new "full image perspective for lens design" when they built the new Pro prime lenses, going back to more the SHG design philosophy, which I personally am thankful for................hoping their next telephoto lens uses the new lens design philosophy.

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    But that's what I don't understand. The new f/1.2 primes are still exceptionally sharp wide open, but have MUCH better bokeh characteristics.

It's really a shame, because the 40-150 PRO is nearly a perfect lens. On the E-M1 bodies, the lens is so small and well balanced for giving you an 80-300 f/2.8 FoV. But specular highlights that are close to the subject just don't render well, and I highly doubt that Olympus is looking to remake that lens this soon, which is a shame because the 40-150 falls right in to that professional workhorse FoV.

I've still ordered one, to see if it can deliver what I need/want for shooting motorsports now that the E-M1 II is on FW 2.0 (and based on what @Robstar1963@Robstar1963 has been posting recently, I believe it will). But I don't plan to buy the MC-14 because it exacerbates the issue. I am however seriously contemplating the PL 200/2.8 if I sell my Nikon 300/2.8 VR. The 400mm FoV is much more useful for motorsports than the 600mm FoV provided by the 300/4 PRO, and in times when extra reach is needed, I can use the included 1.4x TC (even if IQ does lag a bit behind the bare 300/4 PRO).

TL;DR: Yes, it's a shame that Olympus had shifted their design philosophy when they made the 40-150 PRO, but at least they're realizing there's more to a lens than how it performs when shooting test charts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I agree about the bokeh on the Olympus 40-150 f2.8 PRO
    I am fortunate in that Motorsports photography shots nearly always have backgrounds that are not affected by this issue and on that basis it is a superb lens for Motorsports
    The worst lens in my experience for Bokeh is the Panasonic 100-400
    When I was testing the one I had briefly I shot some birds in the back garden in the trees
    It looked as if there was a very heavy rain storm with horrible diagonal bokeh effects
    Luckily again this did not affect its use for Motorsports
    Looking forward to seeing some of your shots with the lens @ijm5012@ijm5012

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  7. Mikehit

Mikehit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2018
  8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It's overcorrected spherical aberration, it results in soft out of focus in front of the focal point, and hard edges behind the focal point.

Under correcting is often used for portrait lenses as it results in very soft edged circles in the background, however anything in front of the focal point will be harsh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PhillyBill

PhillyBill Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 5, 2012
    William Jordan
    It could be a combination of factors, but double edges in the bokeh are a known effect of image stabilization, which is why they say turn it off if you are on a tripod. Try the same shot on a tripod with and without the IS to check whether the effect diminishes. My macro shots taken on a tripod with IS off have smooth bokeh.

One of the disadvantages of IBS is that is has to shift more with increased focal length - the shift it has to make to make a subject crystal clear at 150mm or 300mm can cause objects not in the field of focus to look ghosted.

10. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    I always love comments that contain "known" + any thing............................... 9 out of 10 times this "known" turns out to be false information spread across the internet by these exact types of comments.

This goes right a long with my above comment, another example of spreading information that may or may not be accurate.

Honestly...................

Do a search and you will find 100's of different threads on forums discussing this and 100's of different reasons as to why it happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    You will also notice that the new primes are pretty large. While the 40-150 and 300 are large in comparison to other m4/3 lenses, the new primes are really large in comparisons. You can look at the old HG and SHG lenses and compare size vs the bokeh as an example of how much larger they made the SHG lenses to get that wonderful image quality from them. They need all that extra glass to keep the sharpness and smooth out the bokeh is what I suspect.

12. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Well i have read this and then spent time going through the 40-150 image thread and ime 95% there to buy tomorrow, i don't want Panasonic and its the only one from Olympus that i feel fits my needs.

13. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Mike, it's a superb lens and the TC is very high quality as well. How else can you get a razor sharp, easily hand-holdable 6x f2.8 or 8.4x f4.0 zoom in any format?

• Like Like x 1
  14. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    As the 100-400 will be going i must change my user name:biggrin:

15. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    TBH, it would have been much cheaper to just get insurance...

16. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I just went through a lot of my pictures taken with the 50-150 f2.8 with several cameras and various settings
    untitled (239 of 315).
    DC-G9    OLYMPUS M.40-150mm F2.8    150mm    f/3.2    1/8000s    ISO 320
    . The idea that double bokhe is some kind of pervasive problem is way out of line. I have not seen it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    But it does have what most call "nervous" bokeh in the right conditions. My 50-200 SWD also has it but not as bad as the 40-150.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I have seen bubbly bokeh,especially with back lit leaves with sun in background. I thought it was pretty cool.

19. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I have seen the same in mine, but otherwise the lens is so good. Even though I do not use it often I think it is the best lens I own.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.