1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is this going to be the E-M5 II?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by letsgofishing, Jul 11, 2014.

1. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    It is but it still won't make tea for the British version or Coffee for the rest of the world version.

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Could be interesting.

But would it be E-M10 sized or E-M1? A souped up E-M10 would be nice but pricing is going to be tough.

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I read that article with interest. I can't see an OMD above the E-M10 nor below the E-M1. Although, there have been whispers that Olympus is going to discontinue the entire PEN series in the N.A. If it is the E-M5 mk II then it is probably going to be a minor bump in specs? Hopefully the video issues will be addressed ..................

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It will be the first OMD with 4K video. :flypig: Of course, a video-oriented OMD would be one way to fit a camera in between the EM-1 and the EM-10.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'd like for them to add the PDAF sensor to it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I could see them pushing forward with the E-M5, discontinuing the E-Px series (in favor of the E-PL7 which will probably take the place of entire Pen line) and give the E-M5 successor to include the higher res EVF and PDAF focusing. Though going with this product model, it seems both Panasonic and Olympus will be giving up on the lower end tier so probably no E-PM2 or GF6 replacement.

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    It does seem tough to squeeze it in without getting it too close to the E-M1. If you combine the best parts of E-M10 and E-M5 as they exist today what does the E-M1 have that is different/better beyond PDAF?

8. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    IF adding PDAF means lower IQ or anything else negative --> No thanks. There's the E-M1 for the PDAF-guys. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I wonder if the E-PL7 will only be sold in Asia like the E-PL6.

• Like Like x 1
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    As the E-PL7 might be the only PEN model, I suspect we'll get it outside of Asia.

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    More external controls, arguably better IQ.

12. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

The EM-5 with focus peaking, the Vf-4 viewfinder and the 1/8000 shutter speed in the EM-5 body would make sense. The EM-1 would remain as the four-thirds capable body with the larger body and the EM-10 would remain as the "budget", smaller version with the 3-axis stabilisation and lower quality EVF.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think like any flagship body, the E-M1 is for those who demand the best. Though I think a middle tier body like the E-M5 and it's successor will be the core enthusiast body for Olympus. In many ways the E-M10 has bested the E-M5. I'd be really interested to see how Olympus will roll out the E-M5 replacement! Honestly, I like how Olympus rolls out improvements in their lower tier bodies over their more premium products. They always put the latest tech in whatever cameras they release. I wonder if we might get a sensor MP bump, perhaps 20MP? I'd be all over an E-M6 with the higher res EVF, 1/8000th shutter, 1080 24P/60i video ( think Panasonic will go 4k across the board), hybrid focusing and increased MP! With improvements like that, it's going to be harder to justify shooting DSLRs unless they also go through a revolution process!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    the most important is pdaf C-AF and reliable tracking AF in low light.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    From a feature/marketing prospective video oriented would make sense. But camera manufacturers and making sense?

I could definitely see merging the 3 E-P models into one. I always liked the feel of the E-PM1, E-PL# cameras (especially with the Richard Franiec grip).

That would be the big one for me. Give me reliable low light AF tracking of fast moving subjects in a dark reception. They're getting close and I'm really tempted to switch my second body to an E-M1/10. Even my 70-200 f4 is a beast compared to the 35-100 f2.8 Panasonic never mind my f2.8 version. The only problem is it also has to function as a backup for my D800 and that's what holds me back.

16. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I think there's room in the $600 price difference between the em10 and em1 for an em5 replacement. Frankly, I like my em10 so much that if they could just weatherproof the em10 chassis, but not change all the other stuff I like so much about the em10, I would buy that as an upgrade.

17. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    3 different OMD models , huh? I guess the major thing to change would be the viewfinder, but then EM1 becomes a tougher sell. I guess, they figure by the time it's out, everybody who wanted one, got one. Sort of like them putting in the EM5 sensor into lower priced models but not until everyone who wanted gorged themselves on the more expensive EM5.
    They wouldn't dare change the body so that grip no longer fits, would they?
    I am wary of that new 1/8000 shutter they have in EP5 and EM1. I hope they fix its blurring shutter shock issues before they use it again.

• Like Like x 1
  18. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I look at this with interest as my possible 2017/18 Camera and thinking what would make me want one over say the E-M5 and I scratch my head. I could be swayed by more MP as long as they don't lose any higher ISO ability or Dynamic range, but I don't know yet if I really want or need them I have done great A0 prints from 10mp. They could put a second card slot in there, 2 SD types so I can have an immediate back up is one thing that is desired.Things like WiFi seem nice but not something I would use a lot, fast accurate AF appeals though the EPM2 and G3 seem good enough but improvements are always good. Please keep one of the current batteries, there is nothing that winds me up more than makers that keep changing battery type, I like that both the EP1 and EPM2 can use the same battery, the one annoyance with a lot of the Panasonics. I would like another strap anchor point on the grip side, just like a camera to hang lengths way down. Better IQ is always the number one reason to upgrade.

19. Bpsmith511

Bpsmith511 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2014
    Sure, would love it. Should be on sale just in time for it to create some nice black friday firesale deals on an old E-m5, just in time for me to pick one up!