Is This G7 Package Worth It?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Biro, May 18, 2016.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    B&H and others are currently offering the Panasonic G7 bundled with the Lumix 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 zoom for $897.99. For once I really can't get a handle on whether it's a decent deal. Perhaps compared to the original MSRP at introduction, it is. But I'm not sure about right now. Maybe that's an answer in itself. Any thoughts?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds DMC-G7HK B&H

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I picked up a nice clean used copy of the 14-140 for about $360. Yes it was a pretty good deal, but there are some out there. G7's can be found for under $500. So you could do better than the $900 package. But the B&H deal isn't bad new in the box.

The Amazon packages come with more stuff, but a better deal? I'm not sure there's much in either kit I'd use. If there's something you actually need, then yes, it's a better deal. I'd probably end up trying to sell the stuff on CL and take what ever I could get. And at that I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The other stuff is junk I agree. But you are getting a good SD card and spare battery for FREE. How is that not a good deal? :confused-53:

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Transcend cards are OK for free, but not one I would buy. Generic battery? Not sure I'd use it since some of the cheaper ones can cause damage. If when it comes in if it actually has a name on it then it might be OK.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    Check Adorama. They sometimes include free giftcard or accessories on top of manufacture instant rebate. BH and Adorama are my go to places for new gears, and sometimes used gears too.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Between the B&H and Amazon deals, I think I would default to B&H because I don't need the accessories and wouldn't be paying sales tax. But I appreciate the input.

I'm interested in both the G7 and the 14-140 because I think I might finally want to get into video. My LX100 shoots 4K video but the G7 offers things like a mic jack and more. The GH4 is great but just too expensive for me right now. Any other thoughts on the G7 are welcome.

Re: batteries. While I have had some good luck with Wasabis, I tend to avoid third-party brands. But the battery for the G7 is out of stock often because it is shared with a number of other Panasonic cameras. Plus, it's not cheap. But here's an option I would try... a Sigma OEM battery that's no doubt from Panasonic:

Sigma BP-51 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 1200mAh) D00045 B&H

At $30, it's a bit more expensive than the third-party batteries but still a lot less expensive than the Panasonic pack. I could buy two Sigmas for only $5 more than one Panasonic.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  7. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    Back in Feb they were doing the G7 with the 14-140 and either a free "$200" Mic or $100 gift card. If you can wait, you can probably beat this price slightly. (Search for the G7 in the hot deals forum.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Wasabi and some of the others are fine. But ones like what's included in those kits? No. Look a little further and you can find it for sale on Amazon individually, also sold by Ritz. It's got 4 reviews, 2x5 star and 2x1 star stating it won't charge in the Panasonic charger. Compare that with the Wasabi and Panasonic batteries at 150 and 164 reviews respectively. And the Wasabi actually has a higher rating.

9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well now I'm holding off on purchasing the G7 with the 14-140 f/3.5-5.6. Since I want to use this combo for video, I'm concerned about reports of shaky (not rolling shutter) video with this camera and lens together due to a potential OIS issue. I'll have to investigate further.

10. fishone0

fishone0 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2016
    check out Wal Mart .com

11. bmhome1

bmhome1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    There's a new G7 with 14-42mm for $550 in the Buy/Sell listings right now.

I've had incredibe deals for much of my GX7 outfit right here.

12. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    My advice:

Go for the G7 with 14-42mm "kit" lens. Better handling and not bad at all for video. That "kit" lens is actually pretty good these days. Lighter, easier to hold still. That lens gives you a "workhorse" wide angle to portrait perspective moderate telephoto range in a pretty inconspicuous form.

As for spare batteries the Watson sold by B&H (Watson DMW-BLC12 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack) is less of a risk than Wasabi (I've actually had horrible luck with Wasabi) or other "generics" and are priced at only $24.99.

Also I second the opinion of a poster above that the Transcend is a possibly "OK" card but not one I would buy or go for a kit that had it included. I trust my work to SanDisk (from a reputable source to avoid counterfeit).

The G7 is an outstanding value even at the full $797 I paid for it when it hit the market. I got it to use as a "B" camera with a GH4 and I often use it as a primary camera due to is super light weight and outstanding quality image. It works very well with the Lumix 20mm f1.7 and the Lumix 42.5mm f1.7 lenses for working indoors or in other potentially marginal lighting situations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Oh God yes. I essentially only buy SanDisk cards. I have one pair of PNY cards that I use with my Olympus Stylus 1. They've worked out well. But for everything else, it's SanDisk Extreme Pro.

• Like Like x 1
  14. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I understand the mistrust of 3rd party batteries. But I'm surprised at the aversion to Transcend cards. I use many cards including Sandisk, PNY, Sony, and Transcend. They all performed well and without issues. The only card that has ever failed on me was a Hewlett Packard card.

15. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Brandon
    No, Roberts camera has them for 799 as a kit last I looked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

16. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Chris
    Panasonic DMC-G7

$600 w 14-42 and $100 gift card

Save a little extra by using a rebate site (mrrebates.com) for example.

17. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    And here's $900 with $100 gift card for the 14-140:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7

Although maybe getting the G7 with 14-42, and then using the gift card on another lens might be more cost effective.

18. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica