Is this camera worth saving?

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Claude
Last week, my mother gave me an old camera she found in a drawer. It is a Petri 35mm rangefinder, identified as "Petri 2.8 Color Corrected Super". This model would have been manufactured by end of the 1950s or beginning of 60s by Kuribayashi in Japan.
It certainly needs a complete overhaul. I don't think anything is broken inside, but it surely looks sticky - the shutter is quite slow. Dissassembly, cleaning, lubrication seems indicated.

210705_0262.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

210705_0261.jpg

210705_0263.jpg

210705_0265.jpg

The lens is in pretty bad shape, and needs a big clean-up...
210705_0264.jpg

The leather case is missing the cover part, and the strap is broken...
210705_0259.jpg

210705_0266.jpg

Anything to do with this, or should it go to the trash bin?

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Unless it has some sentimental value it's probably not worth putting any money into for a CLA. And while I bet it would look really nice cleaned up, if you are not the sort who enjoys such maybe consider donating it to someone who might, just to keep it out of the landfill? If no takers you can always drop it off at your local charity thrift store.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew L
I second the last comment - unless it has sentimental value for you or your mom (if she found it in a drawer and didn't relay any more information about it than that, I'm guessing not), then it's a somewhat low-end camera that has seen better days. It's always good to keep a photography-oriented keepsake with meaning to it, but it's no good accumulating broken ones that don't. Maybe clean it up as best you can and list it somewhere like eBay, noting that it does not work or partially doesn't work. Someone else can pay to have it sitting around - keep life simpler!

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Claude
I am sad to say I tried to extract the lens for adapting it to M4/3, but in so doing I broke the camera only to find out the lens is unusable and impossible to adapt!
Alas, that was the end for this camera!

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
We used to sell Petri when I had that gig decades ago. They always broke. Some of us in sales refused to sell it so the boss sold them (Hint: Never buy anything from the boss!).

I gave up on film (for now) and sacrificed an old Olympus 35RC to sundry projects. One was to take the 42mm lens out and put it into a m43 tilt adapter for the drone's camera.

Front Tilt Lens.jpg

Recently I needed a hot shoe for playing with the flash and the new oscilloscope, so its hot shoe in the top cover became useful to hold the old Vivitar 285 in the middle below. Later, its PC flash sync-socket went into something else.

Sync-mess-and-Oly-35RC-sacrificed.jpg

Sometimes the old stuff becomes useful again for something, but then the storage space and forgetting where the junk is at becomes maddening (Packratitis.).

Latest threads

Top Bottom