Is this banding?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by malter001, Feb 3, 2014.

1. malter001

malter001 New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2014

I was taking pictures around our school today and started to notice horizontal shadows across the width of some photos. I know banding is a problem with some cameras and lenses but examples I've seen have consisted of very narrow bands. My pics look like they have shadows. The attached photo was taken in a gymnasium but the lines appear in photos taken in other locations in the building. Then again, there are some photos where they don't appear. Up to now I have not seen this show up in photos taken with the same gear.

The attached image shows best what the lines look like. It's not supposed to be a good composition. I chose a shot with no students in it due to permissions.

Camera: Lumix GX7
    Lens: Lumix 20mm pancake
    ISO 400
    F 2.8

Thanks for any ideas or thoughts about these ghostly lines.

Attached Files:

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Try taking pictures where the light source is continuous, i.e., sunlight or incandescent. Lights that vary with power line frequency, such as florescent, can cause odd patterns.
  3. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Were you using electronic shutter?

Those lines can occur when using electronic shutter and a shutter speed that is not a multiple of the electical frequency which is 60Hz in North America. When using e-shutter, try using shutter speed of 1/60 if in North America. Mechanical shutter should not exhibit this behaviour.
  4. malter001

malter001 New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2014
    Thanks for the quick replies. I turned off the electronic shutter and took more pics in the same place. The lines/shadows are gone.