1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is this a Minolta Mount?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Dan Ka, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I noticed just today a pawn shop that I must have passed hundreds of times over the last 15 years. Stopped in to see if they had any lenses, they had six. 3 - 28mm f2.8, Vivitar, Rokunar, and Makinon all at $8 each. 3 - 7-210mm Canon FD, Vivtar, and a no-name that I purchased for $15. (I sometimes suffer from GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)).

Now I'm trying to determine the mount. After searching the web for several hours, I think it's a Minolta knock-off that was made by Samyang (the lens is stamped "Made in Korea") probably for a third party like Sears or K-Mart plus it very much resembles the Minolta 70-210mm "beercan" lens. It has a red MC on the front, but, the aperature ring is marked "MD". MC stood for Meter Coupled and MD for Minolta Dual(?). Other Minolta details in the photos.

Can anyone verify that this is a Minolta mount? I need to buy an adapter.

Attached Files:

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I believe "MC" probably means "Multi-Coated". It does look like a Minolta MD mount lens. I have a couple of MD Minolta lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Capt T

Capt T Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2010
    Pulled out my minolta lenses and I would have to agree that it looks like it is a minolta lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    Yes that is definitely a Minolta mount. For other lens mount identification I use this website:

Camera Lens Mounts

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    Thanks all for the confirmation. I thought is was a Minolta. But, the tab/tang at the right with the big question mark in photo #3 was throwing me, even though none of the tabs will be used w/ the adapter.

Rick Oleson's site was the first place I looked. Other very helpful sites include:
    "Third Party Lenses Resource Megasite Home Page", aged, about 1998, but it is about older lenses and
    Peter Blaise's Minolta site

Thanks again, now off to Amazon to get an adapter, then see if there are any good photos in that lens.:smile: