Is this a legitimate deal?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by col902, Nov 6, 2011.

1. col902

col902 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2011
  2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    $45 shipped sounds OK to me. The lens is worth the $30 BIN price. The OM10 has no manual shutter speed setting. Only aperture priority auto with up to +-2 stops of compensation.

3. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I've never owned an OM10, just the OM1 and OM2N. Reading up on the OM10, it seems like it's aperture priority primarily. You set the aperture and get the resulting shutter speed. An adapter, around $25?, is required to set manual shutter speeds independently.

Wouldn't see why it's not legit. OM's are in cupboards everywhere. The ad doesn't say it works. If it's like my OM2N, you need batteries to make the shutter work. Batteries are still available for it.

Well the lens is worth 15-20 of that 30 dollars. It looks like it says F-Zuiko, which means single coated vs multi-coated..

Another place to look is here ...
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8841463

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    see no reason for it not to be legit

1) The OM10 was the entry level mass market version of the OM range

2) There a zillion 50/1.8s out there

3) you can always search on ebay for completed sales for any item... that will give you an idea of what things have sold for recently - the price asked doesn't seem out of line with what this combo has been going for.

4) the seller has other photo items for sale and looks like reasonable feedback

My only thing I would check is that whether the battery needed for the metering is still available

beyond the normal 'caveat emptor' ( buyer beware)... there seems nothing wrong to me on this... its priced right and at 30 bucks isn't really a big risk.... your first 3 rolls of film will probab;y cost more to buy and process

K

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    If you really want to start using it, you may run into trouble because the lightseals of the camera back and the mirror damper mostly have deteriorated up to a point that they do not function properly anymore. This is very common with cameras 30 years old and they need to be replaced. In Holland this would cost about 30-40 euros I guess.

I would ask the seller if the lightseals and mirror damper have been replaced recently. If not, you'll want to check out if you can find a suitable repair facility before you buy it.

6. col902

col902 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2011
    is the om-1 better than the om-10? i've heard about issues with the battery? not sure what the problem is?

7. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The OM1 is a completely manual camera with a mechanical shutter. I think it is a better more robust camera.

The original battery was a mercury cell. These are no longer available. A silver oxide battery can be used but the light meter will not be accurate. There are zinc-air cells that will work. Once a zinc-air cell is opened it will run down in certain length of time wether it's used or not.

Fred

8. col902

col902 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2011
    could you give me a link to a battery that might work with the om-1? or are there any options better than the OM-1 from a different brand or maybe from olympus in that price range?

9. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
  10. col902

col902 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2011
    Is that all you would need to power the camera?

11. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Yes, it only runs the light meter.

12. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
  13. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    OM1 and 50mm with filters

I have an OM-1 and 50mm with a hood that I would sell at the $30 price. The light meter seems to work but I have not shot film in it for years.

14. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
  15. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    An adapter like this is also a good solution. If any one is interested in why these solutions are needed, here it is.

Mercury cells were used in a lot of light meters because the voltage is very stabile over the life of the cell. This means no circuit to regulate the voltage was needed. It was cheaper and easier to design. Silver oxide and alkaline cells gradually decrease in voltage during their life and so require some kind of regulation.

The adapter above lowers and regulates the voltage of a silver oxide cell to match the performance of mercury cells.