Is this a good price for a used macbook?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rhaab, Jun 19, 2013.

1. rhaab

rhaab Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    2009 macbook
    2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
    4GB RAM 1067 MHz DDR3 (can upgrade to 8GB)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB Graphics
    Dual Card Reader
    2 USB Ports
    Ethernet Port
    Firewire Port
    Thunderbolt Port
    8X Dual CD/DVD Drive
    160GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
    Snow Leopard O/S 10.6

they're asking $850. It's my first time using mac and I plan on using it to edit videos with my gh3
  2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    If it is really just a MacBook, it is overpriced in my opinion. If it is a MacBook Pro it's a little better, but I think they are selling at closer to a little over $1K new these days. I'm going to send you a useful link in a PM.

And by the way, think about a MacBook Pro with Retina display. I don't know the current price right now, but I understand they have come down significantly from the $3K I paid (loaded) for mine.
  3. elpanda

elpanda Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    2.53GHz should be a MacBook Pro (that year's MacBooks were clocked between 2 and 2.26GHz as far as I know).

But then it is weird since all the 2.53GHz 2009 MacBook Pros had 250GB hard drives, not 160GB.

Weirder still, these machines didn't come with Thunderbolt, they just came with a mini DisplayPort connector.

Finally, the ad doesn't say if the screen is a 13" or 15".

Personally, unless you're buying from a trusted source, I'd stay away from it. If trusted, try to confirm all the details they gave you, without that it will be hard to tell if the price is correct.

If the machine indeed turns out to be a 2009 MacBook Pro then it is actually really expensive. I wouldn't go higher than $500 for a 13" and $600 for a 15".
  4. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Here are the specs. They list current value at $750-$1050 USD. If it's well taken care of, it is worth $850 easy. No MacBook, Pro or otherwise, had dual card readers. Nor did this have Thunderbolt, so I question the seller validity. It could be a scam. The hard drive could of been replaced at some point with a smaller one, but there are red flags. If it was replaced, drop the price to $700. My late 2008 MacBook is still humming along nicely. What I think most people forget is that Macs hold their value for a lot longer than any other PC hardware. So I say this isn't a good price, but an average price on this used MacBook.
  5. rhaab

rhaab Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    i will check it out tomorrow thanks. It seems like he just copied and pasted some of the discription so it could be an error. This town is too small to scam someone.
  6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    That's seems like a lot to pay for a 4 year old machine with those specs. Especially considering that you can get Lenovo refurbs with 3rd gen i5s for under $300 directly from Lenovo. $500 will get your a 3rd gen i7 quad core from Lenovo. That Mac is 4 generations old. Is there something in particular you need a Mac for?

If you must have a Mac, for a machine with those specs even a Mac, I wouldn't pay more than $400 since you can get them on ebay for that. I definitely wouldn't pay anywhere close to $850. Better yet I rather get a 2nd gen i5 Mac Mini for that $400 on clearance at Best Buy or from Cowboom.
  7. rhaab

rhaab Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    I want it for imovie or final cut and I need a smaller sized laptop for travel.
    My other option was a new windows laptop and sony vegas but vegas edit is around $450 canadian.
  8. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I have that exact machine as my daily use computer, including LR4, CS6, and iMovie. I paid $1299 for it new and if I were selling it now I'd probably ask around $500. The $850 price is way too much.
  9. rhaab

rhaab Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    I seeeee. I think I'll pass then hah
    I don't know if I should wait for more used options, or just buy a new one.
  10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Which Sony Vegas are you thinking about? $450 seems like the super pro version. Since you are interested in iMovie, I'm thinking you are looking for the consumer version. I got Movie Studio Platinum 12 from Newegg for $20 on Shell Shocker. Sony has dropped the Vegas name. It's still only $60 now.

SONY Movie Studio Platinum 12 Audio & Video Editing Software -

As for the last version that carried the Vegas name, Platinum 11, it was $20 from Groupon a week ago.

Sony HD and 3D Video-Editing Software Deal of the Day | Groupon

It's only $36 from Samy.

Sony | Vegas Movie Studio HD 11 Software | MSMSHD11000

If video editing is your goal, these consumer versions of the Sony editing software have pro features and are fast. Combine this with a $300 Lenovo laptop and you can have a decent video editing rig for under $400.
  11. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Keep an eye on the refurbs in the Apple store online

Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Notebooks & Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

These are Apple refurbished machines which means they have likely gotten more personal attention than the new machines coming off the assembly line. I've never bought a refurb Mac but the prices are good and I can't see any reason that I wouldn't if the need arose.