Is this a good capture or a fail?

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by The Minimalist, Apr 1, 2012.

1. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I photographed a derelict house today, but when I got home, I could see it was not in focus and branch nearby was. However I think it captures the emptyness of the house.
    What are your opinions?

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If the house were more obviously( while out of focus) falling apart, it would be better.

- Eliot
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
  4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Sorry but it doesn't work for me, it's not clear what you are trying to do, there are too many distracting things in the photo and nothing draws your attention except the branch in focus but that is clearly not the subject of the photo.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry, but I must vote fail. :)
  6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    If you didn't tell us that you missed the focus, it works. Just call it, 'nature takes over' or something like that.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I'm sorry, but the branch just makes me giggle. It's so ... in-focus, a definite photo-bomb. :^)
  8. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    This one doesn't work for me. Composition and focus are in need of improvements.
  9. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    The perspective is a little off. But, experimentation is key! So I applaud you for trying something fresh. :wink:
  10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I kinda like the rat's eye view...
  11. The Minimalist

Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks for the comments everyone, some of them made me laugh and others were interesting. I look at mistakes as part of the learning process.
    I'm going to try this at the end of June, because a) the sun will be in position to shine on that side of the house. Being in the shadow does it no favours. b) I like Kinlau suggestion about nature taking over, there will be more foliage by then.
    And I will make sure it's in focus next time. :biggrin:
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    We learn from our failures - not from our successes.
  13. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    You could always put it into Topaz or similar software and a make it all arty and pretend that,s what you wanted. It can work.
  14. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I think the house needs to be much more out of focus but the dark foreground and the dark house aren't doing it for me. Perhaps from a different vantage point.
  15. The Minimalist

Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks again, it's a place we visit often to go for a walk and I will try out different settings and see what the results are.
  16. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I vote fail. Don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at. If it was supposed to be the foliage, then I would want to see more of it framing the subject. As it is, I just see odd branches sticking into the frame.
  17. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'd like to add that I won't go so far as to say fail because you actually got out and shot something.
  18. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    I took a landscape shot that I really liked but I was using legacy glass and missed focus on a one of kind shot. I was about to toss it when I decided to compensate with a few PP tricks. Glad I did. It made a really cool abstract shot that looked like a painting. Still one of my favorites.

Not sure that applies here unless it's part of a dream sequence or something along those lines. That in focus branch would have to be dealt with though!

19. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I love it. I think the house is clearly the subject of the photo despite being out of focus and in the background, and the fact that the branch is in focus makes the whole thing somewhat disconcerting as your eye tries to make sense of it. It isn't a pretty photo, but it's good art.
  20. The Minimalist

Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks, I took the photo on a public footpath, so I was always going to be looking up at it. I was trying to make the house as something that had been stumbled upon, but I'm guilty of treating my camera as a P/S device instead of taking a bit more time checking it was in focus.