1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is there such a camera bag for work wear?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sin77, Dec 22, 2012.

1. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Basically I work in an office environment and would usually cross-sling a small (A4 size) slim vertical bag.

I would like to bring my epm2 and 14-42 x lens everyday to work but would prefer it to be easily accessible and protected by soft padding, and not have the bulging look on my slim bag (making it looks like pregnant.)

Hence, is there such a bag for me?

I would still prefer having it A4 (so that can keep some documents), can keep a small umbrella and looks close to an office work bag.

Currently I'm using a manfrotto pouch to keep the camera and lens in my bag, but find it hard to reach to the bottom of my bag and then remove the pouch to shoot.

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
  3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Domke make a vertical format bag but it's much larger than A4 in size and comes with a sleeve for a 15" laptop and a small insert. I find it uncomfortably large.

Tom Bihn bags in Seattle make some nice vertical bags. The 2 I've used are the medium Cafe Bag (the large size is probably closer to A4 in size, and more recently the Ristretto in the iPad size. I can fit either an E-P3 or E-M5 in both with the Oly pancake 17mm F/2.8 attached into either bag and it won't look pregnant. I doubt I could fit either camera with the 14-42 mounted comfortably into the Ristretto if I have my iPad in the iPad pocket but I might be able to do it in the larger bag. A camera with the 14-42 mounted would fit into the Ristretto if I didn't have the iPad in it (the problem is the front to back depth of the opening which is too narrow for the camera and lens if it is being stretched to full width because of the iPad's presence. Either would definitely fit into the medium Cafe Bag provided I didn't have an iPad in it though I think the larger Cafe Bag would be a better size if you were carrying a lot of documents. You would need some sort of insert and I find myself considering one of the wrapping cases rather than the insert out of a small Lowe Pro bag which I normally use.

Really, given the size of the camera and what you want, I'd look for a good quality cross sling bag of the size you want and consider an insert or wrapping case for the camera and lens. Make sure the camera can be placed in, and removed from, the bag while you have some documents and whatever else you're going to carry in the bag in it. Some bags like the Tom Bihn bags, which are really excellent bags in my view, have sides which taper in width from their widest point at the bottom to a narrower side at the top. With the bag opening fixed at full width if you have something wide inside the bag, you may not find it possible to insert or remove the camera if the top opening is then too narrow from front to back. Take the wide object out so the sides can move towards each other and getting the camera in and out isn't a problem but you don't want to have to empty the bag of some of its contents every time you want to grab your camera.

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I have a black Thinktank Retro 7. It has a dedicated zippered compartment for documents/ipad/macbook air. Its a very professional looking bag. No badges on the outside, except a very discrete Thinktank badge on the back. The only thing is that it might be a tad bit thicker than what you need, but you be the judge

IMG_20121223_024912.

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
  6. jime

jime Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Jonestown Texas
    I also use the Tenba mini messenger. It not only holds my Epl1 and 2 extra lens (room for more) plus it can also carry my 13" MacBook Pro or ipad.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Most of my daily so called commuter bags double as a camera bag. I simply use one of numerous inserts advertised on Ebay. They are purpose focused bags AND they dont look like camera bags at all.... which means you are less likely targeted for theft.

My most daily bag is actually from Fossil.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have both the E-PM1 and the Tenba Mini Messenger. Love both but I generally just carry the E-PM1 loose or in an insert in my messenger bag when I am not taking other lenses.

9. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I put my E-PM2 with lens (usually 20mm, but it fits with the Oly 45 f/1.8) in the water bottle pocket of my EDC murse (not afraid to admit it, and it helps that it is "tactical"). Because this pocket is located on the outside of one end of the bag what little bulging it does works with the bags slim shape rather than against it.

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I use the Domke J803

It has a pocket on the back that fits my iPad and two on the front for phone and, checkbook, wallet or what-have-you. I take it to work all the time. It doesn't scream camera bag yet i can hold a body with lens mounted and still have room for another lens or anything else you might want.

11. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Although mine hasn't arrived yet, and it's on the expensive side for it's size, I recently ordered the ONA Bowery bag.

At first I thought "$119 is way too much to pay for a camera bag this size!" But then I realized I take my camera bag with me EVERYWHERE outside my house, and that investing in a good quality camera bag would be no different in my case than investing in a nice pair of shoes or a new jacket. In fact, my camera bag gets more use.

The bag is small, looks amazing, and apparently has great build quality. However, from the sounds of it, you'll need a bigger bag in order to carry your documents, and ONA's bigger bags are even more expensive. However,you should check them out. The Brixton, Union, and Brixton Bags are all suitable for the work environment. Stylish, in fact.