Is there more than one model VF-2 Viewfinder?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by M4/3, Sep 24, 2011.

1. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    The Olympus website says: "The VF-2 Live Finder, for the E-P2 or E-PL1, easily slides into the camera’s accessory port and hot shoe when needed – for example, when shooting in direct sunlight."

So does that mean the VF-2 is incompatible with the E-PL2 and E-PL3 and E-P3?

Or is there another model of the VF-2 Viewfinder that is specific for the E-PL2 and E-PL3 and E-P3?
  2. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I'm guessing that's just an old description. The E-P2 and E-PL1 were the first cams suitable for the VF-2. As far as I know, there is only a black and silver verison of one and the same VF-2...
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-P2 and E-PL1 had the Accessory Port 1 (AC1), whereas the E-PL2, E-P3, E-PL3, and E-PM1 have the Accessory Port 2 (AC2). The AC-2 port is completely backwards compatible with any accessory made for the AC-1, and there is so far only one accessory made for the AC2 which can't be used on the AC1, and that is the PENPAL (the bluetooth device). Every other accessory made thus far (VF-1, VF-2, and VF-3 viewfinders, EMA-1 external mic adapter, and MAL-1 macro arm light) are all compatible with both types of Accessory Ports. The VF-3 requires a firmware update on some models, though.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    What about the little flash (FL-LM1) that came with the E-PM1. It plugs in to the same connector and doesn't work on my E-P2. Anyone know if there is a firmware upgrade to make this work?

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that thing. It works with the Remote Commander system for cameras like the E-PM1 which have RC capabilities but no pop-up flash to house the Remote Commander.

So I guess that's another AC-2 accessory that I missed off the list (to add with the PENPAL), which I don't believe works with AC-1 ports (E-P2 and E-PL1). I don't know this for sure though...