Is there going to be something new and "big" soon?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by crashwins, Feb 19, 2013.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Considering updating my old EP1 at this point. I have a slew of lenses, love the body, but ready for something new. I've heard murmurings of "pro" bodies coming out, but I don't really know what that even means in the m43 sense. The GX1 is a gorgeous build -- as is the OMD -- but theses already seem to be dropping in price. Any thoughts on whether I should stick it out a few months for something really nice from Oly or Pany? Money isn't the big issue. Thanks!
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    It's up to you, but nothing's announced, so anything announced will still have a delay before release. For Oly, lately that's meant about a 3 month delay. For Panny - well, who knows when their stuff actually shows up on the shelves. Then, it will be at full retail.

I've recently moved to an EPL5, and in many ways (though not all) it's as good as any m43 body I've had. I do miss the EPx thumbwheel, but the touch-to-shoot screen is sweet.

If you want the sweetest control set ever, then the OMD is a nice option, but for me, I found the grip on the EPL5 (adding the large EPx grip to the EPL5) is better in ratio to the body than the built-in grip on the OMD, and if I add the HLD-6 grip to the OMD, I may as well carry my DSLR. YMMV. I would love to see an EP5 with a built-in VF, maybe even some better control wheels (at least 1 thumbwheel) and a nice grip option, but you figure that will be like $899+ available by perhaps May or June.
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Pro bodies will be something like the GH3 bigger, tougher, more expensive with lots of control.
  4. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Yeah, I think this sort of raises the bigger issue for me as to whether I want to jump into the DSLR market again with maybe the Mark 2 or 3. I see the GH3 just came out and it looks gorgeous. I had the GH2 and was really impressed -- I'm sure I'd be doubly-impressed by its successor. So, without getting into the tired techno-speak over what's better FF, cropped, blah, I guess I just want a m43 body that has some more gas to it so I can use the many lenses I've accrued. The OMD does look really nice and I've given it some thought. Do you think it holds a big candle over the EP1; how about the GX1? Thanks!
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Yes, the OMD is a massive improvement over the EP1 and GX1.

The IBIS is see-it-to-believe it good. The controls are very natural, and super flexible. The weather sealing can be super-helpful. The tilt screen is sweet. If you want a slightly meatier camera and cost isn't an issue, the OMD is, IMO, the one to beat. I handled the GH3 at B&H last week. It's got even more substance to it, but personally I prefer the OMD tilt screen to the GH3 style, and the IBIS with native lenses has no equal. Of course, all just an opinion.
  6. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Great, good to know. So would I be crazy to buy a GH3 for video and an OMD for straight shooting or does the GH3 outmod the former?
  7. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    For every reason stated above just get the omd. I own one as well as an epl1 and epm1 it is miles beyter
  8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve seems to think there's an announcement coming from Panasonic in late March or early April, but good luck guessiing when any new cameras would become available in U.S. stores. The same website seems to think Olympus will unveil an E-P5 (or whatever will fill that product slot) in June. So you figure availability in July or August.

Frankly, I have to say that Olympus's current micro four-thirds lineup, which includes the OM-D, E-PL5 and E-PM2 - all of which feature the new Sony sensor - are excellent offerings. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Just pick the form you prefer.

The only potential complication is if the E-P5 is a rangerfinder-style camera with a built-in EVF. If that's what you're really looking for, then maybe wait to see what happens. If that's not important to you, then I say buy now.
  9. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    I've got an OM-D and it's a wonderful camera. That said, the sensor in the OM-D and GH3 are reportedly identical. There have been several posts indicating that when shooting raw, the picture quality is virtually identical between the two. If you need to put out JPEG's straight from the camera, then the OM-D has the upper hand with a better rendering engine. But if you're fine with RAW, you could get by with just the GH3- assuming you didn't need things like the IBIS.
  10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    :thiagree: Any of the 3 Olympus mentioned are leaps and bounds better than the E-P1, so, rather than waiting for a new PEN, I would just upgrade now and enjoy the new camera. If possible, however, I would strongly suggest handling all of them personally at a camera store to decide if you like the ergonomics of each of these cameras...
  11. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    As far as I can tell, the OM-D only offers one major feature the GH3 doesn't for stills, and that's IBIS. The sensor in the two is extremely similar if not a tweaked version of the same sensor, so I really doubt you'll see an appreciable difference in output. Unless you just want to, I see no compelling reason you'd need to get them both.
  12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I handled the GH3 down at imaging USA at the Pany booth, and it was pretty nice feeling, certainly seems rugged, with the added alloy in the body would seemingly make it bomb proof. The studio video test's they were showing off on a monster 1080p Panasonic TV tethered to the camera, which made me really want the tv... but the video looked stunning 2nd only to the Canon cinema camera's which are obviously going to be of a different animal. Pana didn't really show off much in terms of the GH3 stills.

Oly didn't show, if that gives any indication on their marketing direction.
  13. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    The GH3 stills are excellent, I think it's IQ is every bit as good as the OM-D. It all depends what you prefer, they are different cameras in styling and ergonomics and match each other in performance.

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    There's always some great deals to be had in the classifieds..... let someone else take the depreciation hit.
  15. amalric

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    The big question mark is if m4/3 will come with the equivalent of the Fuji X-E1, that is the flat top, built in EVF camera, IMHO. 43rumors assumes it will, either in the Panny or Oly flavour or both.

I'd also assume it would be around the 1000 mark, so no cheapie. The E-M5 might be a good buy in the meanwhile, if you can accept the hump. Someone noted that m4/3 is a year late in design, compared to Sony and Fuji, and I agree. So one will have to wait another year before the latest models have a tolerable price.

The advantge however compared to mirrorless APS is having decent lenses at cheaper prices. So I suppose it was worth the wait.
  16. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I havent read all the answers above me, but only about the title i would say...

what is not "new" or "big" about the current OMD and GH3? both Oly and Pana flagship cameras?! OMD is just one year old and the GH3 is months old... are they not "new" or "big" enough?.

If you keep waiting for the next big thing (which apparently in nowadays comes every 3 to 6 months or a year) you re going to miss a lot of photos. and yes according to marketing people everything and anything thats coming out "next week" is "better" than anything else done before.

If you're coming from an EP1 (I had an EPL2 so i know the sensor) any of the new pens or the OMD or the GH3 are WAY better technically than an EP1, but will you take better photos? I doubt it. Better photos come from you, not the camera.

my 0.000000002 cents.
  17. amalric

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    It's interesting to see how those who already bought the penultimate model try to discourage one buying the ultimate one. I suppose it must be human nature :)
  18. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Since we're talking about price and the future, I figured I'd ask if anyone who watches the prices of relatively new cameras has a guess about the future price of the PM2. I've pretty much decided that's the camera I'll be buying, but if it's going to drop $100 in a month I might just wait. If not, why wait! :)
  19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Hang on for a new announcement, and if it's not a REAL Pen (Like e-P1, e-P2, e-P3) just go and buy an e-pL5.

Do not sell your e-P1 by the way, you might need it for wideopen ISO100 summer pictures, and original Olympus colours.