Is there anything like mu-43.com for Sony NEX?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ajm80031, Jul 16, 2013.

1. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

Just ordered a NEX-6 (still keeping my GH1, at least for the time being) and would love to find a web site similar to mu-43.com for those cameras -- one with a good amount of activity, most members actually know what they're talking about, and where there's civil discussion rather than flame wars. Does such a thing exist?

I've Googled "NEX forum" and checked out the top results but none of the sites look to be all that active. Is there a site specializing in that camera system that can hold a candle to mu-43.com? Please, no one suggest the dpreview forums :smile:

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    How about the "sister" site TalkNEX, which is also run by Amin. You should see an orange/red "alpha" logo in the upper right corner of this site that will direct you there.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    TalkNEX is a good site, but unfortunately it doesn't hold a candle to this one in terms of activity. Good and knowledgeable people, just not much action.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Agreed. I use DPR for nex discussions. I post a thread there and I get a bunch of responses. I post the same thread on talknex and I get none.

5. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

Yeah, TalkNEX was one of the hits I found on my Google search, but many of the discussion sub-forums seemed to have long gaps between postings. Contrast that to here where a lot of the sub-forums have multiple posts per day and lots of responses.

6. Mu-43 was once very small also, and what that made it bigger was new members joining in and participating, one by one by one.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hold on a minute....In defense of Amin's other forum, let's break it down.

1) Micro Four Thirds is an older & more mature system than NEX
    2) Micro Four Thirds has 2 major companies making camera bodies whereas NEX has just one.

So it's to be expected that this forum has more activity. :smile:

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:thumbup::2thumbs::2thumbs:

9. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Whatever happened to old Bhupinder2001? He was even funnier than Bhupinder 2002! :smile:

Actually, I suspect the reason for one forums popularity is where the first critical mass lands by chance. If NEX lands at DPR and m43 people land here, that is where they will stick. It's not possible to get everyone to move. And the Google hits will keep new people coming there.

I nearly joined Micro Four Thirds Forum at Four Thirds User instead of here. But they already had an Ian.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Four-Thirds User is a very good community, but they have more European users whereas this forum and Four-Thirds Photo have more North American users. And of course, Four-Thirds User/Photo deal more with 4/3 DSLRs whereas this forum is strictly m4/3. This forum is a lot busier than either, which only goes to show how much more popularity m4/3 received worldwide, as both the 4/3 forums were well established and busy before the m4/3 format (and thus this forum) even existed.

Ian from Four-Thirds User also publishes DPNow (Digital Photography Now), which is another great resource.

11. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    Forums with a lot of gear chatter and system angst debates make the place lively, and that attracts more contributors. Up to a point- but the wheat doesn't grow without the chaff, so to speak.

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    But the busiest 4/3rds forum is called something else entirely ... :smile:,
    also run by Ian, and he valiantly attempts to get us to post in Four-Thirds User from time to time. There's definitely something wrong with the registration for that forum though, hence some folk (like me) never got onto it.

That linked NEX forum is very quiet, too quiet.

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Also,
    Bear in mind that a lot of NEX traffic and users have been absorbed in existing Sony Alpha DSLR/SLT forums....So Amin's forum will have less traffic because of this too.

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Really, which forum is that? I only know of FourThirds-User.com and DPNow.com which Ian Burley runs. When I was using Four-Thirds, before Micro Four-Thirds came about, the busiest 4/3 specific forum was FourThirdsPhoto.com. FourThirds-User was slow in comparison so I never used it as much even though I love the people there! I really should check in with them.

Ah, I'd been registered there for so long I wouldn't know about any such problems. ;)

15. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    He's my evil, yet more successful, twin brother.

16. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

I did end up joining TalkNEX and my first posting generated a handful of replies within 24 hours, so the activity level may not be as low as I had thought...