1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is there any instant film that I could use for a shoebox camera?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by LowriderS10, Sep 20, 2015.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I don't know if this exists...but does anyone make any instant film that would work in a shoebox camera?

I have to teach some sort of a lesson/activity to a science class (grades 8-10-ish)...I was thinking I could do something about the physics of light bending around a small hole to create an image, and the activity would be to build a shoebox camera and take a picture with it.

However, all my shoebox experience is with normal film that I then had to develop...this won't work for me. Does a type of film exist that would not require developing?

Thanks!
    T

2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Polaroid still such produces film. Its kind of expensive. I noticed these instant Fuji films too. I believe these are single "sheets" and they are remarkably inexpensive relative to the Polaroid camera packs. They are designed to be used with single film carriers similar to large format studio sheet film cameras. You would need to determine how to remove the protective layer/covering which prevents it from being exposed. Then in the dark it could be taped in the corners to inside the camera. To be determined is an appropriate/adequate procedure compress the exposed sheet to activate the developer. Consideration will be needed regarding the safe handling of the self contained chemistry. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Awesome, thank you...

I'm guessing this would be the Fuji you're referring to?

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products...fujifilm_instant_films/fp_100c/#product-views

Hmm...so loading shouldn't be a problem. I'm just doing a demo lesson, so I can load ONE shoebox (mine) with film at home in the dark and then take it to the school, so that should be no problem. (I'd just have to make sure that the shoebox is light-proof).

My bigger worry is the compression thing...do you know how that works? Do the cameras/carriers compress the film when the shutter is activated, thus triggering an internal chemical reaction?

Thanks again for your reply! :)

4. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    To be honest it is probably easier and safer to setup up an impromptu darkroom. The enormous benefit is the students can experience the magic of seeing their photos developing. Generally with pinhole photography photo paper rather than film is exposed and developed. Of possible interest is Worldwide Pinhole Photography DAY.

Another related experience could be converting the classroom into a camera obscura. It is really magical to be inside the camera. That's unassuming kids of this age would consider something as mundane interesting.

5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  6. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    LowriderS10

Awesome, thank you...

I'm guessing this would be the Fuji you're referring to?

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products...fujifilm_instant_films/fp_100c/#product-views.

Yes or the B+W product.

Hmm...so loading shouldn't be a problem. I'm just doing a demo lesson, so I can load ONE shoebox (mine) with film at home in the dark and then take it to the school, so that should be no problem. (I'd just have to make sure that the shoebox is light-proof).

Metal canisters are much better to use that a shoe box. The lid is light tight. there are small one that teas, chocolates and other candies come in. Depending how much effort you wish to expend truly remarkable results are possible. If you use an exactly aperture for the focal distance the image is amazing. My favorite was the Cadbury 21mm, f/193 (below). With a lensless (pinhole) camera Everything is in focus. I doubt I can find the 5x7"photo off my porch. EVERYTHING from the nail head 1.5" from the can to objects through a neighbor's window 100 feet away were in focus (under magnification)!

My bigger worry is the compression thing...do you know how that works? Do the cameras/carriers compress the film when the shutter is activated, thus triggering an internal chemical reaction?

The cameras have a roller. I'd try a flat rubber spatula attempting to exert uniform pressure going across the surface.

Chrome

Note the square of foil tape at center. I drilled a large diameter whole in the can then overlaid the tape with the very tiny needle hole. The thickness of the can would produce a mild refraction in the exposure.
    full.

full.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If you have access to a Diana f+ camera with an instax back, you could take the instax back, attach it to the showbox and pinhole that film. Once you have your exposure - turn on the instax back, hit the button and kick out the film. Wait a few minutes and there is your picture.

If you just want the instax backs, you can get the mini back or the instax wide backs from the lomography website. They make a wide back with a crank for their belair bellows type cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I would take an old Cheep Polaroid pack film camera, like the Colorpack types, and cut the front standard off and put a plate with pin hole in it, effectively making it a pinhole camera.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You might create a large scale example, where the students can actually see the image being projected on a surface. And then show them how it works in real life by just using a pinhole lens on your digital camera. More instant results and easier to show on a projector or screen if you hook up your camera.

Or just do something with fire..... :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Awesome...thank you so much for all the suggestions!!! :D