Is there an RF-based shutter release for Pens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Feb 28, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Does anyone know of an RF-based remote shutter release for Pens? Specifically EPL5?

2. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    What is RF?

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    radio frequency. i.e. not cable and not ir (infra-red)

4. Stephen

Stephen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 2, 2013
    There are several listed makers on Amazon and Ebay for RF releases, some with timers added, just make sure they list Olympus E P plug compatibility
    Stephen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I have the Hahnel remote which is quite acceptable.

M

• Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    There are also a number of reviews that say "this wasn't compatible with my Pen" so I was hoping for some first-hand suggestions.

7. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Haynes

Ok mine is the Hahnel HW 433 OL80. Works on Pens and OMD.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Does it just plug into the USB port?

10. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Yep and sits on the hotshoe too if you want it to be tidy.
    Works to 80 metres.
    M

11. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I'm using the unfortunately named "Aputure" ones and they are very, very good.

If you go this route, you want the Trigmaster 2.4 or Trigmaster II 2.4 units for Olympus.

You can use the Trigmaster Plus which I have also but you have to fix a problem with them to use a flash mounted on them. The way the case is molded cause heavy flashes to bend the case enough to activate the button to change channels. I bought some really cheap and modified them according to a web site and they were a real bargain.

The nice thing about the plus is they are all transceivers. They can work as either transmit or receive, and they allow remote shutter release and the unit on the camera also syncs and fires the flashes. Very flexible.

There's plenty of choices out there! These are affordable and pretty high quality. Only fly in the ointment is the Plus model and the little reinforcement you have to glue in -- but it means you can find them used super cheap.

I have both types and they all work at 100 meters or more reliably. The Plus units have genuine external antennas which can be positioned for optimum range when needed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    In case anyone is wondering "what do you have to do to the Trigmaster Plus to make is reliable?" -- It's this:

Blog post by a clever fellow with pictures showing how to modify the Plus

I did mine using scraps of plastic from an old expired gift card (though a credit card would work also).

I have four of these puppies now and spent less than $100 for the lot of them and they work a treat.

If you're good with your hands, they are an inexpensive way to get into good triggers if you can find somebody selling them because they had problems -- which they probably won't tell you and they'll think they're getting over, lol.

• Like Like x 1