Is there an Olympus roadmap?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by shawngibson, Apr 19, 2013.

1. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    I see Fuji has one for lenses. I don't see anything similar with Olympus. Here's my wishlist FWIW:

Either a 25/1.0 priced like the 75mm or slightly higher, or a 25/1.8 priced and built like the 45mm.

A 135 f2 also built like the 45mm.

A macro zoom like the Nikon 70-180 but say f2.8-4 very expensive and great optics. That would be a 35-90 macro in m43 terms.

A new body with focus peaking. 5 axis in every body. A new sensor exactly as the OM-D but higher bit depth to compete even more with FF. built in calculator since I suck at math. And ability to read Excel and Word docs for those days when I'm playing hokey.
  2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I want the ability to read my mind when I turn the mode dial to Auto :)

Seriously, an 8, 9 or 10mm prime would be just what I need.
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I haven't seen anything official from Olympus that is at all similar to what Fuji has published.

The closest thing I've seen is this roadmap which covers the rumored body and lens announcement of both Olympus and Panasonic for 2013 and beyond gleaned by the 43Rumors site:" />

So far, the "Panasonic GF7" has already been announced (as the "GF6") and the G7 (nee G6?) is expected to be announced next week.

The only Olympus lens on that list is expected to be perhaps a roughly [URL=""]12-40mm weather-sealed f/2.8 zoom[/URL]. Beyond that I haven't heard what else Olympus has in the lens pipeline.
  4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I want the ability to take pictures just by blinking my eyes. :tongue:

Seriously, I echo BigTam, I want an 8mm (or I'd even take a 9mm) rectilinear prime. 10mm may be too close to my 12mm.
  5. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    E-p5 and 2.8 zoom. We already know they can do constant f/2.0 zooms in both pro ranges, so they should.

E-p5 would be nice if it has a flippy screen and no EVF and 5-axis IBIS. And the current sensor of course. And direct dial to Pizza Pizza.

I was only kidding about Word and Excel and Calculators. I'd be much happier with a transporter.
  6. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    I can see the desire for a 25mm f/1 but I wouldnt hold your breath. I have a hard time believing we would see anything like that from Olympus any time soon.

Are you asking for a 135mm equivalent (67.5mm) or an actual 270mm (135mm) lens? I could see a 135mm equivalent but I think Olympus covered you with the 75mm. I think the next big lens that Olympus will release will be something like a 100mm f/2.8 lens.

The 60mm macro is perfect. Why would you need a zoom? I do wish it was a f/1.8 or 2 but even at 2.8 it is pretty solid.

Focus peaking is a must at this point in any new body. I also wish Olympus and Panasonic would exchange information regarding lenses so that we could use panasonic lenses without having to deal with CA and that stuff.

Some lenses that I think should be on the roadmap from Olympus:

7 or 8mm f/2.8
    12-50mm f/2.8 zoom
    25mm f/1.4
    100mm f/2
    150mm f/2

Id love to see a 25mm f/1.0 lens and a 42.5 f/1.2 lens but I know those are pipe dreams so wont even bother asking!
  7. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Manufacturers usually only make public roadmaps when a system is new, in order to assure potential early adopters that there are new products in the pipeline, and that the system won't be quickly abandoned. m43 is now established, so Panasonic and Olympus keep their cards closer to their chests now, which allows them extra flexibility. That's why Fuji have a roadmap and they don't.

Sigma just announced a constant f/1.8 zoom for aps-c dslrs. Well, I would like something like that, to be honest.
  8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Beat me to it.
    Nikon and Pentax both put out roadmaps for their 1 and Q systems but don't have anything for their DSLRs. Because they want buyers to know there are more lenses coming.

It would be nice if we knew what lenses Panasonic/Olympus are working on. I personally wish both would slow down on the bodies and work at getting more lenses out. Other than a couple of updated lenses the 2 brands have released very little in the past year. Panasonic has a few promised for the future but still 9+ months away. On the other hand the bodies have been updated and some of the "upgrades" are minor.
  9. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    This. :smile:
  10. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Who knows? Perhaps we'll get f/2 zooms from Olympus.

We just keep on dreaming.
  11. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I'd like to see a 17-60/f2 zoom. That lens would be almost glued to my OMD.
  12. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah 50/1.0 is a bit of a stretch, but given the success of MF Voitlanders, it's not beyond possible. Add AF and you'd sell a lot of them.

I meant a 135. Ie equivalent 270. There are 135/2 lenses in the FF world, so it should be possible and would be a good step up after the 75/1.8.

An $800 12-50/2.8 would be awesome. So would a 150/2.

I still like the idea of an internal zoom macro, it would be very useful being able to zoom without having to move which can be a pain with macro.

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I realize that most of the suggestions in this thread are pure "wishlist" items, but the price points being suggested are unlikely to be anywhere close to reality. For example Olympus already has a 150/2 for 4/3 and it lists for $3000 and rarely sells used for less than half that. I would highly doubt a :43: version of that lens would be any cheaper.

sent from my Android tablet using Mu-43 app
  14. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    12-40 f2.8 zoom would do it for me.
  15. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Are people not satisfied with the current offerings from Panasonic? Seeing multiple things suggested that are already out (case in point, the post above me). Is a 12-40 f2.8 really that much different than a 12-35 f2.8? Is it just wanting competition for pricing reasons? Some of these seem different enough than current offerings, or just aren't out (10mm prime, 150mm prime), but others seem to just be "This X imaginary lens would suit my particular shooting style the best, and I want it for $Y (usually 50% or less of expected MSRP). Or people are getting into extremely fast lenses (less than 1.4), where those seem to be few and far between, even for CaNikon's history. Doesn't matter about the size of the image sensor, f1.4 by its nature requires a larger opening than a slower lens.

Sorry about the ranting aspect, but as I read this thread, it seems as though this is more of a "We want magical lenses for cheap", rather than a "Where could Olympus go from here, given the existing m4/3 lens lineup and competition".
  16. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    My wish would be a perspective control 9mm f3.5, 17mm f1.2, 25mm f1.4, 200 f3 macro to with 1:1 and a nice 400 f4 mirror that is just slightly larger than the75 1.8...
  17. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'm willing to pay top dollar for top quality glass as long as it's not an outrageous amount they're asking.

But no, to comment on the post above, for me, the Panasonic offerings for the fast zooms are not good enough for me. I think Olympus can come out with smaller and possibly sharper options even if it overlaps with Panny's offerings. I don't need OIS personally. Also, a 12-50 and 50-200 (or even just a 40-150/2.8) would be better.
  18. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Agreed that once you are talking 12-50 it is different enough than a 12-35. The 12-40 just seemed like they were putting out something that was a bit too close to existing, but the person wanted another few mm. I get that the f2 zooms that they put out for 4/3 were a quality above the Pana m4/3, but sometimes it seems as though people are just stating focal lengths they would like, instead of "why" this particular lens would make a difference to others besides themselves. Some of the others are already heavily rumored by Pana (42.5, 150), so not sure why people are stating Oly needs to come out with one before even judging what the new option would be.

At some point, the market for high-premium m43 lenses ($1k+) is small enough that there isn't enough meat for a second player to re-develop new lenses just to compete. Once saturation is reached, companies will go after other perceived areas which they feel are needed.
  19. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Are you expecting a rational list from a bunch of gear crazy enthusiasts who dream of magical gear? Sometimes the distinction between wanting magical gear and magical pictures is lost on us, and even when it isn't, we want both with a walmart price tag to boot. :)

Half the stuff on this list is impractical to make (pricey, large, niche, low volume) so will never see the light of day. Or night, if you think of the more exotic lenses. It will have to wait for the day you can 3D print high quality optics at home. Yeah, put that on my "rational" wish list.

If there is one thing that is truly missing, its the lack of options on mid-grade and mid-priced zooms. The Panasonic 12-35/35-100 options are too expensive for a broader market to consume, you better be very gear crazy with deep pockets or making money off the stuff. APS-C or FF certainly gives you more options here.

It will happen, but when you have GAS, there is also urgency. :biggrin:
  20. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't think most of these, with a few exceptions, are magic. However I also expect that any of the more 'magical but doable' ones would be very expensive. And I for one don't have a problem with that.

If the one major hurdle for m43s, namely truly professional AF, is overcome, there will be every reason to go totally pro with this gear, and as such the expensive glass would be welcomed. That's my 2 cents anyways.

Of course, if you want to print large, this is always going to be a limitation, all else being equal, because of the physics of area and enlargement. But most people including most pros don't print very large anyways, and when they do, with a great image (content) and decent doctoring in Photoshop, it becomes less of an issue.

There's no harm in dreaming that m43 can become truly professional some day soon...if indeed it is not already, on a practical level, sports and other AF-sensitive venues aside.

If I am a pro and I can buy small-ish (compared to FF) 12-35 and 35-100 f2 glass at a stupidly expensive price, I will. That's the price of business.

Having said all that, I've been paid to do jobs, but have not until recently ever considered turning this into a business, so take my pro remarks with a bit of a grain of salt.