Is there an "influencer" who hasn't been "fuji-x100V-ified"?

Mu-43 Legend
Not too much to get excited about in cameras nowadays, and it seems like a nice piece of kit, so why not? I watched the DPR review and others. Good for Fuji. My issues are - I'm not in love with that specific FOV and I am not moving to XTrans.

TheLaird

Mu-43 Veteran
I have the X100F as my in-pocket camera. It is very good at what it is .. fixed lens, Fuji JPG's and small enough not to draw too much attention. I am seriously thinking about the X100V and will test it out in a couple of weeks time. Different from my EM1-X for sure. Influenced by others ... are we not all? Influenced to have a look and make up my own mind.

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
I remember my first X100 with great fondness. Bought to use alongside my 7D, it ended up replacing it - even with the Canon's slew of additional glass. The Fuji was responsible for me jumping off the DSLR treadmill in fact. Sine then, I've owned many Fuji cameras (including all the X100 series up to the F) and each one has been either a subtle - or significant - upgrade. I still hold a candle for the original though. The Bayer array with the Fuji colours' magic touch is a bit special, even if the machine around it is a tad clunky.

However,

For some unfathomable reason I don't feel drawn towards the V. Cannot explain why, but whilst the Pen F has its faults, I find/found it a better camera than the X100F. Its images are sharper, it jpeg output is nigh on as good as the Fuji, and I don't have to use a different converter for the RAF files. Capture One - c/w LR - is way, way ahead but I don't like the faff.

Still, good luck to Fuji. :)

I have very less experience with Fuji (X-T20 and 2 lenses) so I am not sure - do people really buy Fuji for SOOC jpg output and not for RAWs? On Reddit and a lot of places I see people mention they like Fuji colors and I wonder do these people not use LR or any other PP software? To me colors are a moot point including that of Sony which always gets hammered by Canon and Nikon hardcore fans because apparently they have better color :S

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
I have very less experience with Fuji (X-T20 and 2 lenses) so I am not sure - do people really buy Fuji for SOOC jpg output and not for RAWs? On Reddit and a lot of places I see people mention they like Fuji colors and I wonder do these people not use LR or any other PP software? To me colors are a moot point including that of Sony which always gets hammered by Canon and Nikon hardcore fans because apparently they have better color :S

I've felt with the Fuji jpegs, they can be so good that often (although not always) playing with the RAWs ends up looking very similar to, or actually not quite as good as those jpegs. I always shoot RAW+jpg, as there is, of course, a good deal more latitude in shadow recovery etc. Capture One's Fuji profiles work very well on RAW conversions too.

I've had a couple of Sony cameras (notably A7RII and III) and could find little to complain about. Of course one could suggest that it's sour grapes with the Canikon fans, seeing as Sony are giving them a right royal kicking in the mirrorless market... ;)

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Influencers??? If anyone is actually influenced by these people then they must have more than one brain cell missing .... out of a total of two.
Around 50% of people under 20-22 years old have made a purchase online because of an "influencer".

Can't find the source but I came accross that statistic when I had to do a marketing analysis a couple of weeks ago.

exakta

Mu-43 All-Pro
Do the Fuji lenses have an aperture ring or is it still on camera with a dial or button?

The XF series lenses have aperture rings, the cheaper XC lenses do not. Fuji just announced an XC 35/2.0, in the US street is $200 vs. $400 for the XF 35/2.0. Supposedly the actual glass is identical.

Some of the XF lenses are weather sealed (they are labeled XF-WR), none of the XC lenses are.

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
Around 50% of people under 20-22 years old have made a purchase online because of an "influencer".

Can't find the source but I came accross that statistic when I had to do a marketing analysis a couple of weeks ago.
if so, luring young newcomers via the zillion microinfluencers is a pretty solid marketing strategy for the long term - if they get in they may become so accustomed to the brand’s specifics they may never feel at home elsewhere as they “grow up”

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It’s amazing how this is a niche camera and all of these youtubers are promoting it. To me it’s crazily overpriced. Why buy that when you could buy another small mirrorless with interchangeable lenses.
I have wondered why Olympus doesn’t do a better job of using that platform. Especially now! The Oly has become an insanely good vlogging setup.

IronChef

Mu-43 Regular
I'm interested in this camera but the lack of IBIS seems a major shortcoming that is not mentioned by influencers?

Real Name
Andrew L
IBIS is one of those things that many people (whose cameras don't have it) pooh-pooh as unnecessary, how they can use 1/focal length shutter speeds reliably, "IBIS doesn't capture fast motion" or "only telephotos need IS" or whatever other nonsense they like to say to make them feel better...

And then when they get it in a camera, a la all of the Sony A7 shooters who got it after the first couple models, they realize it's a magical thing that opens up a lot more opportunities that you just couldn't have done without lugging a tripod.

Latest threads

Top Bottom