Is there an image upload limit?

Discussion in 'Site information' started by tkbslc, May 24, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Often when sharing an image to threads, I have found it convenient to use the "upload a photo" button. This is different from uploading to gallery and embedding from gallery. However, I cannot see a way to view all the photos I've uploaded via this button. Which leads me to wonder how much space I am using and if there is a limit.

So I guess two questions:

-Is there a limit to how many uploads I can make?
    -Can I see and possibly edit/delete any photos I've uploaded directly to threads?

Not that I plan to abuse it, I just wonder if some day I'm going to hit a hard limit and not be able to upload again.

2. Chazzz

Chazzz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Washington State
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Those rules seem like they were made before the new redesign and direct "upload a photo" button was added. Are they still valid?

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    @tkbslc@tkbslc - Sorry, I somehow missed this thread. If you have a question about the site, please tag me (include @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet in your post), and I'll be sure to see it.

The answer to your question is that the Upload a Photo button use is now unlimited. Images over 1600px are automatically resized, and all uploads are compressed lightly (jpegoptim quality 90).

Gallery space remains limited, so the unlimited applies only to images directly uploaded to threads. All of these upload limits are subject to change depending on server space, bandwidth costs, etc.

You can, at any time, edit your posts and delete the attached images, so long as you maintain a membership here in good standing.

5. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Since the link in this tread are broken, and I have unsuccessfully tried to find anything in regards of uploading, I was wondering if this function are still available? I have tried to upload via the upload button, but gets a failure message every time I try that. Running Win7 at 64 bit, Waterfox browser.

I now use the flickr, but mining out the jpegs from the source-code are somewhat tedious and I only seem to get to harvest the small ones, and dont seem to have the ability to share from the account into here.

With humble, not tech savy regards
    JensM

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hi Jens, "Upload a Photo" should work. Are you uploading JPEG images? Have you tried a different browser?

7. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Jpegs, yes, typically 2040 long side and 80 DPI for web.

Havent tried any other browser, as I dont have anything installed, not even explorer. :O

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Try disabling Adobe Flash for the domain "mu-43.com" if you can

• Like Like x 1
  9. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Splendid stuff, up and running now, much obliged. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Darned Flash is more trouble than it's worth sometimes! Glad things are working for you now :).

• Like Like x 1