Is There An Idiot's Guide to Oly 'myset'

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nueces snapper, Aug 10, 2011.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I can not get past my fear of creating my own set of custom functions. I never did with my Nikon SLR either. I need to do it however. I need one setup for tripod tele work. One for landscape. One for walking around. etc. As it is now I am often in the SCP changing lots of settings and I often forget one or two and blow some shots.

I'm not skeered of custom functions. I can do most of those ( although I do not know what 'gradation' is ) I've changed most of the mode CFs as per most recommended suggestions to come up with a neutral tif to allow for Photoshop post processing. Of course there is no RAW program yet but I'm just using my jpegs as cheap RAWs now.

Thanks for any suggestions. :thumbup:
  2. nueces snapper

I see 45 folks have had enough interest to view the thread. Maybe I'm not the only myset challenged one. :biggrin:

I just need some step by step guidance. The manual is no help. It just confuses me.

Does one click into a myset in the menu and then that puts you back to the entire menu where you make all your settings and then click OK or something then that particular myset is locked in? Or what?:confused:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    I'll take a look at this as I've seen the 'myset' function but haven't had the chance to run through it.
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Gradation is Olympus' in-camera method of bumping up shadow detail (at the expense of noise).
  5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I've played with it just enough to get into trouble but not solve the issue I had. From what I can tell, you set the camera up the way you want it for a given application, THEN go into the myset menu and assign those settings to a certain myset. And then you can assign a myset to a function button.

The thing I wanted to do was have a setup for using art filter bracketing when I wanted it, but generally have it turned off. So I set up the camera for art filter bracketing with the appropriate filter turned on and saved it. I assigned that myset to a fn button and then while shooting, if I held down that fn button, it would go to those settings (with the bracketing turned on). The PROBLEM, however, is that the myset remembers EVERYthing, down to the f-stop and shutter speed that was selected when you set it. So it would always go back to that shutter speed and I couldn't change it without taking myself out of the myset. Then when I returned to the myset, the aperture would change again.

I found the whole concept pretty well useless, but I hope and sort of assume I'm doing something wrong. It's not a huge deal, so I haven't put any energy into figuring it out, but that's about all I know at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    I've must have read manual a dozen times and I still for the life of me cannot figure out how to set this. Had my epl2 and now my ep3. Lol
  7. nueces snapper

Well Gol Eeee! Little did I even imagine many were in the same boat. Maybe I ain't totally dumb.:biggrin:
  8. GaryInOz

GaryInOz Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2010
    Sydney, Oz
    Although written for E-30 and called 'Custom Reset', the operation is the same. Have a look at: Customizing the E-30

You initially 'set' to the setting currently in the camera once (and for the mode P/A/S by the way), then you can reset to these settings at any time.

Hope this helps....
  9. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    OK. What Ray said is correct. Once Set, the Myset can be Quick accessed via assignment to Fn1 or Movie buttons. The downside is that all the other settings are fixed, eg, if Bracketing, you also have ISO fixed to what it was when Myset was input.

However, you can also access Mysets via Menu. When done this way, the other settings can be changed. Think of this as four different Custom settings - as GaryInOz noted, you have four Mysets for each Mode (PASM).

The manual is not clear on how to turn Myset off/on via Menu. On page 35, it says under 'Using Myset' that you choose a Myset (1-4) and press OK. Then Select Set and press OK. On my E-P3, this results in a final Yes/No choice - why? No idea. It's an unnecessary final step. 'No' means you've changed you mind and decided to cancel Myset. 'Yes' means you are indeed wanting to use this Myset.

Once you say 'Yes', all your camera settings are now changed to this Myset.

I haven't found a way to use this feature with ease. It's cumbersome to access Myset. It's even more difficult to go back to 'normal': you can either choose 'Reset'/basic, which sets everything but date to factory default (p107) - ugh!, or set a Myset that is your 'normal' and go to that.

So I'm hoping I'm still missing something...this 'feature' should be more useful!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Unfortunately this seems like a half-baked feature. Not sure why it would keep settings that in most cases people would NOT want saved (e.g. aperture, shutter, etc), since those can easily change shot-per-shot...
  11. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    It takes a little bit of getting your head around, but it's a brilliant function that I'd be lost without. Simply save myset1 as your normal shooting mode, and the other three are yours to do with as you wish.

I've got one set for off camera flash work, one for HDR, one for my normal shooting mode and one spare..... the one thing that would make it more user friendly would be the ability to rename the 1-4 with a custom name.

Use or change whatever settings you want, then just load the mymode1 up through the menu system (about 5 seconds and 5 clicks once you get used to it) and you're back to all your 'normal' shooting settings without the hassle of menu scrolling and trying to remember what should be set to what.

One really annoying thing though.... there doesn't appear to be any way to find out which mymode you're actually in..... no indication that I can see anyway.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. nueces snapper

That was pretty good. Thanks. :thumbup: Guess Oly has not really thought this through. I'll just have to keep using the SCP and try not to forget settings.:frown:
  13. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Thanks to Dekhog!

I notice that I was wrong on one point: it is NOT true that the Mysets are different for each Mode (PASM). Rather you have a total of 4 Mysets and must change Mode as needed.

It's awfully easy to change a Myset, rather than invoke it - the difference between a right arrow and OK after highlighting Mysetx. Must practice that one!

I like the idea of setting Myset1 to your normal settings - great way to quickly clear anything unusual.

Dekhog: you mention two examples of custom settings. Remote flash is definitely one I'll use. HDR? Would that be a special case of Exposure Bracketing? The latter seems almost as easy to just go to that part of the menu when needed. What other settings do you use for HDR?

Also, any reason to assign a Myset to a fn key (for 'Quick'/temporary changes)?
  14. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    A bit off-topic, but on the subject of convoluted interfaces, is there a way to calibrate the "one-touch white balance" without wasting an Fn key on it?
  15. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Sure. Just go to WB, scroll right to one of the two 'one touch' settings, press INFO, frame your shot (white/gray paper), select YES, press OK. The new WB setting is now saved. See pg 44 of pdf manual.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Thanks, that worked.

Do you know if the CWB temperature is saved anywhere in the RAW file?
  17. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    The best way to remember how to use the mymode(s) is..... once you go into the mymode menu and you see the four (on the E-PL2) mymodes from 1-4. If you select one of these in the main screen that will invoke the mymode. If you arrow/button right, then select, this will save the current settings as this mymode number.

So, main screen selection invokes the mymode - right arrow saves the settings as the selected mymode number.

Assigning a mymode to a button (Fn or Record in my case) could be very useful in some cases. Say for example you normally shoot in JPEG and this is set as mymode1. You could save mymode2 for the same settings as mymode1 but change the setting to RAW + JPEG and use the Fn or Record button assigned to mymode2. Instant RAW + JPEG.

Only tweaking a few or many settings from your normal is quite easy, you don't have to go through everything. Simply set your mymode1 as you normal settings. Now change the settings you want, then go to the mymode menu. Select mymode2, arrow right, and save. This is now your mymode2.

For example my HDR is set to RAW and 5 stop 1EV bracketing assigned to mymode3 - I could assign this to a custom key, but holding down the Fn button to do bracketing doesn't make any sense, so I just change the mymode.

The flash mymode simply sets the popup flash to 1/64th power to trigger the optical slave on the off camera flashes and focus to rear (record) button. It took me quite a while to get my head around it, but it's now very simple to use and something I use all the time. The ability to go back to your normal shooting settings by selecting mymode1 can save a disaster if you get into the habit of setting it instinctively when you turn the camera on.
    • Like Like x 2