Is there a way to use the the shutter cable port to trigger flash?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jambaj0e, Sep 15, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    So I love to use the VF-2 on my Olympus E-PL2. The problem is that I also use studio lights and utilize a Cactus V5 wireless flash trigger on the hot shoe. That means, I can't use the VF-2. Now, the Cactus V5 has that one jack on the side that I believe can be use to trigger.

The Olympus E-PL2 has that one port on the right side that you can attach a shutter cable release. Is there a way to use that or sync a cable release remote or something w/ a wireless trigger in order to free up the Oly's hot shoe so I can use the VF-2?

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
  3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I was looking at that cable, too. I think it may work either two ways. The Cactus connected to the camera is in tX (transceiver mode) and when pressed, it triggers the shutter and also triggers the other Cactuses. The other possible way maybe is if the Cactus v5 connected to the camera is on rX (receiver mode) and a master Cactus in tX mode triggers that one as well as the other flash triggers.

Anyone tried this? I don't have a shutter release cable w/ a 3.5mm plug, just a 2.5mm plug

4. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Hmm... read this on DPreview. I guess there's no way to slow down the flash sync to time it to the shutter unless it's off the camera hot-shoe?

No camera is fast enough. The flash is essentially instant, so it always fires before the camera.

The way you make this work is with 4 Cactus v5: Two units on the camera (one connected to cable release port, the other on hot shoe), one in your hand, and one on your flash.

Set one as a receiver, pick a random channel, like 1, and connect it to the camera's shutter cable.

Set one as a transmitter, set it to the same channel as the above receiver. That's your remote trigger. Try it, make sure it fired the camera.

Set one as a transmitter, set it to a different channel than the units above, say channel 2, and connect it to the camera's flash connecter or stick it in the hot shoe. That's going to transmit when the camera's shutter is open.

Set the last one as a receiver, set it to the same channel as the above transmitter, and put the flash in the hot shoe.

Now, when you press the button on the one in your hand, it transmits on channel 1. The receiver connected to the shutter cable picks this up, and fires the camera. The camera's flash connector triggers the transmitter set to channel 2, which then fires the flash on the channel 2 receiver.